Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

CA resident here: YES, a written test is required. If you move in from another state, the written test is required anyway (I had to take it when I moved here!). They don't call this the Nanny State for nothing!!! And yes, make an appointment, or you'll be standing in line for hours and hours. The behind-the-wheel tests are definitely by-appointment-only and you have to either have taken and passed the written test, or get the waiver.

If the vehicle gets to a certain age (10 years, we think), the vehicle will probably be required to go to a certain type of smog station for its test. Even if it was just smogged a month before, the smog is required to be done right after purchase.

Don't try to buy a vehicle in one state and then register it in California. THAT is a headache. I know, we just did that when we inherited a vehicle outside of CA and brought it here. What a pain in the tush!

Donna

Thanks heaps guys/gals!
    So it looks like hannah has to go back to being a teenager again and sit a driving test :)
    I'm sure she will be fine!
    Funny thing is I have my full Car my full heavy truck and my full motorcycle but it looks like it will be her doing the driving!
    It also sounds like we are stuck looking for a vehicle in California as its the only place we have an address.
    The only other option we might have is we have a friend in Arizona who we might be able to stay with for long enough to sort licenses I'll have to look into it.
    Thanks again all

Much appreciated!

Jamie

Default Not necessarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Yes, but you'll probably have to get the car licensed and registered back in California when you buy it.
    Jammah, only a couple of weeks ago I spoke with a family from Sydney in a motor home which they had bought over the internet from a private owner... bought it in CA registered it in MT - through the same attorney who did mine.

Send me an email, and I will give you a contact. All hassle free and very little expense. As well as permanent registration... no ongoing expense to renew each year.

Lifey

Email sent lifey!!
    Sounds like a fantastic option
    Thanks heaps
    Jamie

Default hunting for the van!!

Hi guys and gals!
    My wife hannah and I are in Chicago at the moment we are on the hunt for a van
    It must be tidy, more than 20 years old, under 3.5 ton (7000 lb), be free of rust, and prefer under 100,000 miles.

The age and weight are so it meets the requirements for us to export it back to new Zealand when we are done

We are headed towards Oregon over the next week looking at vans as we go, I've found a few around Chicago but the salt makes most too rusty

It is a shame as it seems easy here to buy a vehicle here without a USA drivers license

If anyone knows of anything I'm all ears!

Cheers
    James

Moderator Note: Please don't create multiple threads about the same topic
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 10-15-2014 at 10:08 AM.

Default tough going

Finding a van in Chicago that's 20+ years old, rust free, and most important, roadworthy is going to be a very difficult task. Finding one under 100,000 miles might make it impossible. You're looking for a very specific, and rare, vehicle, and while you might be able to find one, you are setting yourself up for a bit of a needle in a haystack.

If you do find one, I'd grab it quickly - after taking it to a mechanic for a full inspection. Keep in mind, if you're registering it in Chicago, it probably also needs to pass an emissions test. I also question how easy it will be to title and register a car in Illinois, without an Illinois Drivers License, but I do know that IL does require you to have insurance to register the car, so make sure you also have that lined up in advance.

Illinois requires proof of residency, which I doubt you can legally provide. Emission testing is not required to register the vehicle, but you will receive a notice shortly afterward in the mail at your registered address requiring a test. Title and registration fees for one year are about $200. There are also sales taxes.

Default Don't confine yourself to one location.

Considering how long it took to find mine, and I was looking in all 48 States, not just one city, I'm not holding my breath for you. Can't say at the time we saw anything much in or near Chicago. If it were me, I'd be looking further afield as well. Can always take a cheap bus ride or flight to pick it up. Everything else can be arranged by phone.

Lifey

Edit:Thought you initially said you would be looking in CA? Three years ago, CA and FL seemed to have more than anywhere else.
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 10-15-2014 at 12:57 PM. Reason: add info

I don't think a rust-free 20+ year old vehicle of any type exists anywhere near Chicago. Road salt is a killer anywhere it snows in the winter.

We went into the dmv and the lady told us all we need is insurance and photo I'd
    To title and register

Moderator Note: Sorry, but posting links to ebay listings is not allowed on this forum.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 10-15-2014 at 04:51 PM. Reason: removed link to ebay listing