Me and 3 friends are planning a 6 months all state road trip. As we will all be 19, from the research I'v done it is near-on impossible to rent a car under the age of 21. For this reason, we plan on buying a car when we are out there (New York to be precise) and insuring and taxing it for the 6 months.
Here are the burning questions:
1. How easy will it be to buy a car when we are out there? - we have a budget of £2-3000
2. When buying the car, I have family in NY who would be willing to help. Would I be able to buy the car under their residency as a foreigner?
3. What are the chances a 19yo Brit would be able to get motor insurance for 6 months, and if all 4 of us wanted to drive, would we all need to buy separate insurance, or could we get a joint insurance/unnamed driver insurance for the car as an entity?
4. Would I be legally able to sort out all the other paperwork? plates??
5. How much am I realistically top-end looking to pay for all of this if you include insurance, plates and car?
I dont know i ay of you will be able to help,but if you could I'd be very appreciative as we have no idea who to ask or where to begin. Any other advice is welcomed too :)