My friend and I are looking into a road trip this summer. We have a rough idea of where we want to go and when, but would like tips, input, suggestions, or any help you'd like to provide!
We're two recent college grads looking to see the sights, but not go crazy. We would forgo costly attractions for a nice state park any day. We're not huge hikers, but aren't opposed to a good walk on a trail. We aren't looking to spend a fortune, though we would like to stay in hotels rather than camp. We'll probably do some periodic food shopping for sandwiches, etc to save money as well. We aren't sure how long to really plan for the whole thing. The only certainty is that we want to be in chicago from August 1-3.
Here is what I know:
- We'd like to leave sometime after July 1st.
- We'd like to get from New Hampshire to California...
- From California, we'd like to end up in Chicago for Aug 1. (Lollapalooza!)
- Back to NH by Aug 5 or so.
- We like "cool" and "different" things... (Worlds biggest ball of twine? Sure, we'll check it out.. )
- We'd also like to try and hit as many of the "big" attractions (the canyon, etc) along the way as we could.
Here is what i don't know:
- The best route to take-- period. I have no idea...
- How much time should we plan on needing?
- How to best anticipate costs.... How much is this going to cost me.. really?
- The best way to eat on the road- food shop or take out? A Combo?
- Sleeping at rest stops? Is this ok?...Safe?
- Where are the best places to stay - chain hotels or highway motels? Should we book ahead or find a place along the way?
I hope you guys can help me out! I read through a lot of the posts on here and it looks like you guys really know what you're talking about.. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!