1. Default Day Trip from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon

Hi,

I just want to know if it is possible to do a day trip from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon including Hoover Dam.

We arrive in Las Vegas on the 2nd October 2006, have a spare day on the 3rd to do whatever then on the 4th we start a Contiki tour which goes from Las Vegas to San Fran via Yosemite.....so we're thinking about hiring a car leaving Las Vegas early (6am) in the morning of the 3rd driving to the Grand Canyon, spend as much time as we can then head back to Las Vegas later on that evening. I know that this is a quick trip but I don't want to be in the facinity of the Grand Canyon & not see it, who knows if we'll get back over that side of the world again.

So what do you think, is it feasible????

Any advice with be greatful.

Trish

Default 5 hours to GC

If you like to drive enough and have the stamina for a 10 hour (minimum) round trip to the GC, then go for it! You won't regret it once you lay your eyes on the marvelous vistas there. You certainly won't have time to explore everything the park has to offer but you will have time to check out the vistas, walk the rim, and go to a few of the places in Grand Canyon Village (I recommend the photographer's place...sorry I can't remember the name) before you would need to head back. How long you have to explore would depend on when you want to be tucked into bed to be rested for your tour.

Hoover Dam is on the way and is an impressive sight. I'm not sure if it's open for tours yet or not. If you want to take a tour there, then going to the GC that day too becomes a real iffy proposition. I would just enjoy a quick stop to take a picture of the exterior of the dam and skip any tours if I was going to do this rountrip in one day.

Default Alternatives

The Grand Canyon is potentially feasable in one day, but as Judy said, it is a pretty long drive, and doesn't leave you with much time to enjoy the views.

There are also a number of bus trips that go from Vegas to the Canyon via Hoover Dam and back in one day, which is another option if you don't want to spend that much time driving yourself.

However, as an alternative, if you want to see another great natural wonder that's closer, you could see Zion National Park in one day. That's only a 2-3 hour drive one way, so you would get a lot more time to enjoy the park and have less time enjoying the road.