1. Default Advice for Ct to Chicago and back

Hi all,
    Wonder if anyone has any suggestions about a great itinerary going from Connecticut to Chicago. We'd like to see Graceland, hear a lot of great rock and blues, eat terrific barbecue and see some memorable scenery. We'd like to come back on a different route so we're not just going over the same ground. We're timing this to get to Chicago to go to a music festival at the end of July - otherwise, we have no specific plans.
    Many thanks,
    M & J

Default Lollapalooza?

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Depending upon the amount of time you have for your trip, there are lots of things you could do.

I'd say traveling down through the mountains, via the Blue Ridge parkway, before cutting over to Memphis, and then heading back up to Chicago -perhaps with a slight detour to St. Louis too - would be a great trip. Coming back you could take a more direct route, perhaps stopping at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, and swinging by Niagra Falls on the way back home.

3. Default Pa Md Va

Hi,
    I agree with Michael on the route through VA. You can also visit Gettysburg in PA and Harper's Ferry in WV on the way to the western portion of VA. Shennandoah National Park is directly east of Interstate 81 and very beautiful. There are many short hikes to waterfalls along Skyline Dr. Also, Great Smokey Mountain NP can be entered from the east in NC and exited in the west in eastern TN on the way. It, too, is a very scenic park. Yes, I agree if you can, visit St. Louis and ride to the top of the arch. The Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, which it is called, also has a western/Native American museum in the base. While located in St. Louis, the park is a very easy off/on off Interstate 70.

If you find you wish to visit a number of National Parks, an annual pass is available for $50. The National Park Website also has a wealth of information available. I have also found going to each individual state's website very helpful in getting free information. Along with what is available on the site, you can request info to be mailed to your home.

I live in NJ and if you find yourself passing through, I can offer ideas if you like.

Have a great time planning and going on your trip!!

Diana

4. Default Forgot Antietam

Sorry, I forgot to mention Antietam National Battlefield in MD which is just south of Gettysburg and east of Harper's Ferry.

Diana