1. Default Summer 'Camp' Trip? Looking for kitsch!

Two couples traveling over July 4 for a 7 day trip. We're from Philadelphia, but we don't need to start there! We'd fly to a good starting point, then drive. We're looking for lots of campy things--thought of touring Route 66, but would love to start at Graceland and head to Vegas! Definitely want stops like 'the best apple pie' or maybe a music festival (blues in Memphis?), or some crazy attractions along the way (a wigwam hotel?) and other fun stuff. What's the best way to go? What should we be sure to see?

Ideas needed!

Default America's First Highway

Quote Originally Posted by Tripper2006
    Two couples traveling over July 4 for a 7 day trip. We're from Philadelphia,
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! With a July 4th trip -- how about driving a section of the Lincoln Highway? The Lincoln Highway was "constructed" between Baltimore and San Francisco in the early 1900's. (sections are still dirt even today). I just read and reviewed an excellent book about this road and it is one of the trips I plan to take later in the year.

The Wigwam motels were all built along Route 66 and if you really want to stay in one I think I would do the western section of Route 66 and stay in the one in Rialto, California. Originally there were seven of these places built. Only three are still open to the public. The one in Rialto was completely refurbished a couple of years ago and the owners are very pleasant. Here is a link to our favorite Route 66 resources.
    I think you would also enjoy Oatman and Seligman.

Happy Planning!

Mark