1. Default From Seattle to SLC

Family of seven, parents and five children ages 17 - 7 are planning a road trip originating in Seattle and ending up in SLC. This is a first for us!!!! (Americans living abroad!) Need advice please. Have seven days for driving. What are musts for us to see and what is realistic as far as driving times per day? Not so much interested in hiking, as seeing the beauty of the northwest. I was thinking of taking the coastal road 101 down to San Francisco and then over to Southern Utah and up to SLC. Is this too ambitious? Thank you for any assistance and ideas!

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default 7 days... enjoy it!

Welcome to the forum!

Well, with seven days, you've got MORE than enough time to pretty much select your route. Seattle to SLC is a full day of driving straight through 16 hrs if doing a speed run. With seven days, I would DEFINATELY milk it for all it's worth!

If you're really looking forward to San Fran, you can visit there without going to Southern Utah... that just seems too far out of the way. There's plenty of things to see and do. Are you interested in parks and Points of Interest, or... something like sand buggy rentals on the Oregon Coast.

As far as parks and stuff, there's always Mt Rainier, Mt. St. Hellens, Goldendale Observatory State Park (just off of US 97 in th Columbia River Gorge area), The Stonhenge Memorial and Maryhill Museum at Maryhill (at the point where US 97 crosses Columbia River). Crater Lake National Park, amongst other places. And the coast, and all that it has to offer.

Your question about realistic driving times is completely up to you. You could drive as little as 4 hours or like some of us Speed-Run road trippers, a mind warping 16 hours. With seven days, you even have the option of staying in a place a day or two and enjoying everything around you.

The US 101 route sounds like it could provide some nice opportunites, including the redwoods. I wouldn't have thought of it, but of course I try to go as direct as possible too.

I cant think of any must sees on the Costal Route... Thats one trip I haven't done yet though. But, with your schedule, it's do able.

-Brad

3. Default

Brad, thank you very much for your quick response! It's a september trip, but with so many people, spontenaeity is not really an option. We have to rent a car, any suggestions there, perhaps?
    Thanks.

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Vans and large SUV's

Quote Originally Posted by ecvo
    We have to rent a car, any suggestions there, perhaps?
    In general, any of the major car rental companies, such as Hertz, Avis, national, etc, are good. One thing you definatly want to make sure you have is unlimited milage, that way you don't have to worry about that. If this is a one-way trip to SLC, they probably will charge you extra for a one-way rental, rather than a round trip.

On car selection, even though you only have 7 passengers, something that seats 8 or more is better. Gives everyone a little extra space.

Hertz has some large Ford SUV's that seat 8, and Avis offers Chevrolet Suburbans that seat 8. If you you'd like to have even more room, Avis also has listed on its site a 12-passneger Chevrolet Express van. I'd do this option for the extra room... it would allow each of the kids to spread out and really have their own space.

-Brad

5. Default

thanks again, you have provided some very helpful information!