1. Default 10 Days - Utah to where?

Hi guys,

I will be visiting the states for the very first time, and i was thinking of renting a car for 10 days and just hit the road and go exploring.
    I would love to see as many states as i can. What would you experienced people recommend, i am really open to any options. I can go either direction, I'm planning to go the day after 4th of july.

Thank you!

From New Zealand

Default In 10 days you won't see all of UT.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American roadtrip Forum.

Try to get hold of a good map of Utah. Maybe your automobile association has one. If you are a member, then bring your membership with you, as you will be able to pick up a map and get tourism information from the AAA.

You don't say where you are flying into, but if it is Las Vegas or Salt Lake City, you are well placed to spend 10 days in UT. UT is a spectacular State, especially if you are interested in national parks and scenic drives. Bryce, Zion, Arches Canyonlands, Capital Reef, to name just a few. Then there is Monument Valley national monument and You would also be close to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon,

I would make sure to get accommodation booked for the first couple of days after 4th July, as many people take an extended break to celebrate this holiday.

Maybe you could give us a little more information on exactly what you are looking for.

Lifey

Default Making the most of the time you have.

Quite often "Seeing as many States as I can" can equal seeing very little of anything as you just drive from one to the other, so what are your interests and goals for the trip ? With 10 days you are quite limited by time in such a huge country and as mentioned above. you could spend all of them in Utah and only just scrape the surface. The 'Four corner States' of Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado have a lot to offer [including the Grand canyon NP] and is perhaps where I would be looking, although you could look at a trip to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. Just don't fall into the trap of trying to do to much and missing it all as you rush through. Do some research and see what appeals and when you have a couple [or so] key points we can help fill in the blanks.

4. Default

Hi guys,

I really want to try and get to New Orleans, im a big jazz club fan and always wanted to visit there to go to one. I will be flying into Salt Lake City and i can extend the trip up to 14 days maximum. So From Salt Lake City to New Orleans is my ideal trip. Please feel free now to let me know which attractions etc i should stop to see, and best route.

Default Depends on what interests you.

Besides NOLA, and Jazz, what type of attractions are you looking for?

Lifey

Salt Lake City to New Orleans -- well, the best thing you can do is to get yourself some maps or an atlas, and look at the many many routes that you could take to get from SLC to NO. There is no one "best" route, except the one YOU want to drive. For the record, though, by the *shortest* route, SLC to NO is 1800 miles which is at least a 3 day drive, one way. If this is to be a loop trip (you must return to SLC), you have 6 days driving of your 10 available, at least.

Reading your initial post, and the replies to it, I'm inclined to agree with a "Utah trip". There are FIVE National Parks in Utah, plus any number of national monuments, state parks, and other features to see/do.

Donna