1. Default Rving through the Great Smoky Mountains in December

My husband and I are planning our first RV road trip from Memphis, Tn through the Great Smoky Mountains for our 25th anniversary. We love camping and the outdoors but have never taken a road trip in an RV. Any suggestions on routes and places to see and stay? This will be a 10 day trip. Also traveling in December will be a challenge and we are not sure what will be open. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Default Finding open campgrounds is likely the biggest challenge

Sounds like a nice trip! Happy anniversary!

Given the propensity for water system pedestals and RV water intake lines to freeze, many if not most campgrounds close in the heart of the winter. Those which are open generally have electric hookups available but not water/sewer. So, perhaps you can find a CG with electric and with heated bathhouses including showers.

I rather suspect any and all government campgrounds will be closed altogether (National Park Service, National Forest, State Parks, TVA).

There are a number of campground guides worth a look. Woodall's comes first to mind.

While it's possible to enjoy warm, clear, bluebird days in the Smokies in December, I wouldn't bet on it. It's rather more likely to find cold, blustery weather, and ice and snow are always possible in the Smokies during winter.

3. Default

If this is a rental, it will surely be winterized, meaning all water tanks drained to prevent freezing damage.

Joplin MO

Welcome to RTA!

Being that the RV will be winterized and not much will be open, you may want to rethink this and use car/motels unless you are willing to use a "dry" RV and hunt out open campgrounds.