I'm comming to you again for some help on yet another road trip I'm planning, this one to the Great Smokies. This trip will take place from March, 27th to April 2nd, I'm using this as a precursor to my 2 month US trip, later this summer. We're doing this for a few reasons:
1. See if we can fit all our gear in my Mustang and still have room to move.
2. We're using exactly 1/10 of our 10 week US Trip, for this 1 week trip, just to see if our budget is realistic.
3. Smoky Mountains!!!
This trip will consist of myself and a close friend travelling in my Ford Mustang, We're thinking of darting South to Shenandoah and doing Skyline Drive as well as the Blue Ridge Parkway to the smokies. Camping there for four nights, then driving back to PA, maybe stopping in Lynchburg, TN for the Jack Daniels tour.
The questions I find myself having difficulty finding answers to are:
1. Whats the best campground in the Smokies?? In your own opinion. We'll be in a tent and do not need electricity, although it may come in handy. Some things I'm looking for in a campground are, privacy, shade, and close to hiking and maybe some fishing.
2. What are some must see things in the Smokies? I have read a little on the old mountain farmsteads remnants that are scattered througout the park. Wildlife viewing and scenic vistas are also important. Maybe some old stills? Waterfalls, cliffs, and other natural features are great too.
3. Whats the weather like in late March/early April? Are the trees budding yet?? Temperature?
4. Is Skyline and the Blue Ridge passable at this time?
5. How far would Lynchburg and the Jack Daniels Distillery be out of our way?
Any input would be much appriciated!!! Thanks for all your help guys!