1. Default Best route traveling from Las Vegas to Austin TX in January while towing.

I'm moving from Las Vegas to Austin TX in January and would like some advise on the best route for that time of year with a Uhaul while towing a vehicle. Thank you.

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Assuming that by "best route" you mean quickest and easiest, you need one key piece of information that you can't know yet: the weather.

The route I would probably lean towards, would be US-93 to the Phoenix area, then I-10 across Texas to US-290 for the final leg into Austin. It's a little over 1300 miles, and you'll need to plan for 2.5 days, in good weather.

Weather could be an issue on this route - snow and ice is something that does happen in West Texas and Southern New Mexico/SE Arizona. Don't assume just because it's farther south, it will always be your best option. It may make sense to take a more northern route, using I-40 into New Mexico, and then cut down through Lubbock. If weather's clear, however, I'd like I-10 because it spends nearly the entire trip on Interstate or Interstate-quality roads.