Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Traveling from Miami to Washington state in January and need route suggestion

Hi ALL,

I am moving from Miami FL. 33193 to Monroe Washington 98272 in mid January 2015. I would love a route suggestion that would be the safest avoiding the most snow and mountains that I can. I will be driving a 26' Penske truck and with my father in law. I did this trip once before when I moved back to Miami from Washington about 4 years ago in mid November. I got quite a bit of snow but did the trip just fine with a couple of hairy moments. I know the snow will be more intense in January so I don't want to do the same route I did last time. I came through the mountains up North, if I remember correctly I think I took I-90. Thanks in advance for all your advice!!!

Default Waiting game.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

It's just too early to try and start predicting exactly what the weather will doing when you travel in January. Keep an eye on the forecasts near to your departure and then make an informed decision. The best way to stay safe is to allow enough time to do the trip and have a bit spare so that in the event of a storm you can sit it out and let it pass through and the road crews clear up. The route you took last time could be better or worse than you experienced last time, so don't discount it just yet.

I would plan on taking the fastest route, with modifications. That would be I-95 to Jax (to avoid tolls), then I-10/I-75/I-24/I-57/I-64/I-70/I-29/I-90. I-80 could be a bit faster, but is subject to high winds across Wyoming and frequently closes for black ice and/or blizzard conditions. It's only 30 miles shorter.

Default What you don't know

Quote Originally Posted by ramie View Post
    I know the snow will be more intense in January so I don't want to do the same route I did last time. I came through the mountains up North, if I remember correctly I think I took I-90. Thanks in advance for all your advice!!!
    It needs to be said, you don't know that the snow will be more intense in January. In fact, it's entirely possible that you will see less snow, or no snow at all.

I will also say that if you took I-90 across the first time, you took what is one of the least mountainous routes possible. I-90 across Montana crosses the Rockies at a lower elevation than I-80, I-70, or I-40. I-10 does cross as at a lower elevation, but despite its southern most latitude, it still can see snow/ice, you still have significant mountains then driving up the west coast, and adds at least 1 more full day of driving to the trip.

5. Default

Thank you all for the eye opening and good info, keep it coming. I also just confirmed my trip date. If the sale of my town house goes through without any hiccups we should close on 01-05-14 and hit the road 1 week after that!!!

6. Default

Can anyone recommend a website to track the weather and particularly road conditions in specific areas. When I did the trip I was given a website that was great but I forgot what it was.

Default A couple of links.

Here is a link to the Federal Highways site. Also sites like the Weather channel are good for tracking weather.

Safetravelusa.com also has links to all the state road conditions sites.

Default State DOT webcams

Quote Originally Posted by ramie View Post
    Can anyone recommend a website to track the weather and particularly road conditions in specific areas. When I did the trip I was given a website that was great but I forgot what it was.
    The states of CO, WY, UT, MT, and ID, and likely all others in the Mountain West and PNW, have a network of real-time roadway conditions and webcams, enabling you to see exactly what the roads are like in crux points such as passes and just in general. If you're smartphone or laptop/wireless card equipped and have a carrier offering widespread coverage, you can have a look-see well in advance of arriving at a particular point.

I share an affinity for I-90 in MT for the reasons cited, and a dislike of I-80 across Wyoming. On 3 of my last 4 January crossings of WY on I-80, I got hit and hit hard by weather, once including a full day of 50 mph headwinds and subzero temps, with snow. Not a good way to travel, to say the least. I-90 in MT averages nearly 3,000' less elevation and has only 3 passes > 5,000', and only 1 of the 3 is > 6,000'. WY, by contrast, holds elevations > 7,000' for > 100 miles, including a pass at 8,640', and runs above 6,000' for about the middle 200 miles of the state. It can often be very tough sledding, and that high pass between Cheyenne and Laramie closes for a few hours to a half day or more from time to time when the systems are passing through.

Foy

I use NWS TO CHECK WEATHER