I'm a single mom taking my daughter on a cross country road trip late-July. I have our basic itinerary mapped out, but I'm having a problem finding places to stop along certain parts of the route to break up the drive time between destinations. She'll be turning 15 years old along the trip, so I will be the only one driving the entire trip (although, I think her first driving lesson will be out at Bonneville Salt Flats!)
Our interests are fairly broad, we have a love for art, street art, hiking, kitschy/Americana, oversized roadside attractions, architecture, and must-see landscapes. We aren't interested in hotels, preferring accommodations like the yurt in Marfa, AirBNB, and backpacking to nice camp spots.
These are the areas I'm having a trouble finding stops in between:
- White Sands, NM > Phoenix
- A good spot to find an AirBNB along Highway 1, from LA to SF...we were thinking San Luis Obispo.
- San Francisco > Bonneville Salt Flats, UT (we aren't that interested in Reno, unless theres a hidden gem there we're missing)
- A place to camp between Grand Staircase and Antelope Canyon
- Albuquerque, NM > Oklahoma City
We are pretty excited to get to see the bottom half of America, and half the trip and supplies are sponsored for my Instagram account. We're packing folding bikes, an inflatable raft, and a pop-up in our little Fiat. I'll probably start a different post mapping out our planned stops (just to make sure bucket list things are not missed as we mosey through the country) but for now, I just really needed any hidden gems worth stopping for along these particular routes.
Thanks so much! I'll definitely be sticking around these parts as we get closer to our trip.