1. Default Olympia, WA to Vacaville, CA in December with a 3 yr old and 14 mo old

We are military and want to try and go home for Christmas and driving is much cheaper than flying. We are in the Olympia, WA area and will be driving to Vacaville, CA which is not far from Sacramento. I am worried about doing this drive because of winter weather and passes being shut. We would be on a certain timeline because my husband would have to be back, by the end of leave. I don't know if we should just plan on sucking up the cost and flying, or is it really a big chance if we drive. We would be driving an 09 Toyota Corolla. Any tips or information would be greatly appreciated.

South of England.

Default Unpredictable weather and an overnight stop.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

It's impossible to know exactly what the weather will be doing at the time you travel. The one thing for sure is that the Interstates are a priority to keep clear and the country on the move, although it's possible to have temporary closures during/after a storm. If things get bad, the safest thing is to pull off the road until things improve.

With 2 children with you, you would really need to factor an overnight stop into the equation/cost, as 700 miles is too far to do in a day with them, even with the best of weather. At least that would give you a little 'wiggle' room if the weather turned nasty.

3. Default

Thank you we do plan on stopping overnight.