Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default olympia to arizona

hey guys, this is my first road trip and im going it alone. im going to the grand canyon, im planning on just sleeping in my car and having minimal food. what im wondering is are there any places on the way i need to stop at and take pictures and are there any places i can go shower and plug in my chargers for free or next to free. any advice you can give me would really help!

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

The first thing to consider is - how much time do you have for this trip?

Not knowing the types of things that interest you, nor what general route you have planned for yourself, it's difficult to give suggestions about what to see and where to go.

The topic of sleeping in the car comes up quite frequently on these forums. Your best bet would be at a large truck stop such as a TA or Flying J - type location.

I don't know of places that will let you plug in chargers for free, but why couldn't you get a charger that would plug into your car's accessory outlet / cigarette lighter?

Finally, what do you mean by "minimal food"? One of the keys to a successful road trip is to maintain good nutrition. This doesn't mean eating only super-healthy foods, but it does mean maintaining your body's required daily caloric intake.

3. Default

im leaving the 16th and i dont have to be back to work until the 25th. im planning on going through oregon idaho and utah, i'll only have about $400 to do this so i really need to watch my money which is why i'll probably live off of balogna sandwhiches or something.

4. Default

and pretty much anything outrageous, scenic or gross interests me = )

I hate to put a damper on a road trip plan, but you are looking at a 2800 mile MINIMUM round trip - and $400 won't even cover the gas unless you get at least 25 miles per gallon. With that kind of budget, you should probably be looking at going somewhere a lot closer to home, and plan on camping, not trying to sleep in your car.

Default Gas money only

Quote Originally Posted by teekenbot View Post
    im leaving the 16th and i dont have to be back to work until the 25th. im planning on going through oregon idaho and utah, i'll only have about $400 to do this so i really need to watch my money which is why i'll probably live off of balogna sandwhiches or something.
    It sounds like you don't even have enough money for fuel for this trip, and since that's the case, you don't have enough money to pay for the fees to access any of the national parks that you might want to see along the way. An amount of $400 is enough for a decent three or four day trip, but the extent of this plan dictates that you have more resources available. I'm sorry to tell you that it is just unfeasible with that small of a budget.

7. Default

my car is only about 4 years old and gets really good gas mileage, i drive about 60 miles a day just for work and i only fill up once a week, sometimes i can make it to a week and a half depending on how i drive.

Have you ever CALCULATED the gas mileage?

I'm sorry, but trying to take a trip of that scope on only $400 is not advisable.

Default Mpg.

The best way to find out how many mpg you are getting from your car is to fill it right up and set your trip meter to 0000, drive it around as normal and the next time you stop for gas, fill it right up to the top again. Take a note of the new mileage reading at that time and divide it by the number of gallons it took to fill. This will give you a good indication on what basis to calculate the cost of your road trip, although if your journey to work is in a lot of stop and go traffic, on a long run you can expect to see more return.

Default $300 for gas, minimum

That is, if you get about 30mpg. That doesn't leave much for any contingencies.

I don't advise this trip without more money available...at least an emergency fund you can access in case of a breakdown, flat tire, etc.

Anyway, here are tips for eating cheaply. You don't have to live on bologna. The link at the top of that post has tips for figuring out a budget. Why don't you work through it and see if you can make it work.

It is critical that you know your vehicle's fuel consumption. What you've told us about driving x number of days, blah blah, tells us and you nothing because it makes a difference depending on what size gas tank you have.

As a fellow Washingtonian, I can tell you about a lot of really cool places that you will enjoy that are breath-takingly beautiful like the Grand Canyon that are much closer and would fit your budget.

Have you been to Grand Coulee Dam and visited the coulees, Dry Falls, watched the laser show?

Have you been to the Columbia River Gorge?

Mt. St. Helens and Olympic National Park?

Let's plan a trip that works for you that isn't so risky.