1. Default Roadtrip from Minneapolis in June to anywhere... for 10ish days

So my fiance and I are moving to Minneapolis from Richmond Va in May/June and we'll have some time in June to travel. We love to camp, hike, fish, you name it... we'd like to check out some of the national parks in US/Canadian Rockies. If you had 10ish days to roadtrip where would you go and what would you want to see there? We appreciate any ideas you have! Thanks in advance-

Tucson, AZ

Default The Long Way Around

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Realizing that the Rockies are not on the way from Richmond to Minneapolis, it is still possible ot include them in a very roundabout RoadTrip between those two points. What I'd suggest is that you make a big 'fish hook' that includes the two main jewels of the Rockies, Rocky Mountain National Park north of Denver and Yellowstone National Park in northwestern Wyoming. You would take a relatively straight shot west from Richmond via I-64 and I-70 through St. Louis to Denver, then after seeing Rocky Mountain NP head up US-287 and/or I-80 to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone National Parks. After your visit there, take I-90 east with stops at Devils Tower, Mount Rushmore and Badlands National Park on the way to Minneapolis.

Unfortunately, while ten days may seem like a lot, the truth is that you're going to need six of those days just for the driving, leaving you a day each for St. Louis, Rocky Mountain National Park, The Grand Tetons and Yellowstone (one day for both of them), and Devils Tower/Mount Rushmore/Badlands (one day for all three). The Canadian Rockies are simply out of the question.