The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default That Good Manure Smell--A Thing of the Past?

Have you ever been cruising down the road with your windows open and suddenly encountered a rather obnoxious smell? Around Wisconsin, we sometimes call it, "That Good Dairy Air." It occurs when farmers use organic fertilizer on their fields. Of course, this immediately results in accusations. Another really bad smell comes from hog farms.

Perhaps that might become a thing of the past if a man in Iowa is successful. According to Yahoo! News, he has received a $500,000 grant to work on his invention to remove the water from solids. This will help remove the odor and make removal of the offending mess easier.

This is something we can live with (or smell with) so best of luck.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway.-- RoadDog
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-21-2006 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Removed broken link

Default Mixed Feelings

Quote Originally Posted by RoadDog
    "That Good Dairy Air" ... occurs when farmers use organic fertilizer on their fields.
    As a son of Iowa born to Badgers, I view this with mixed emotions. It is/was one of the things that distinguished rural from urban life, so I see this as just another small step in the homogenization of America. But then, I no longer have a sense of smell.

Thanks for the report.

AZBuck

Default No smell?

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck
    As a son of Iowa born to Badgers, I view this with mixed emotions. It is/was one of the things that distinguished rural from urban life, so I see this as just another small step in the homogenization of America. But then, I no longer have a sense of smell.
    I don't think it is going to happen -- there are certain smells that linger, no matter what.

Mark

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default That's the sort of thing that makes driving in the country so special

Growing up in all parts of Washington, there are two smells I would rather not have drowned out: The 'Dairy Air' and the smell of freshly processed Cedar (this being the better of the two). Its that sort of thing that sticks to your memory banks.

5. Default

Oh... There's nothing like driving on I-40 East of Raleigh, NC in the middle of August. Ahhhhhh....Bacon. Hog Farms have got to be one of the worst smells on the planet. Followed closely by paper mills.

Default A close second...

Quote Originally Posted by UNSeaBlu04
    Oh... There's nothing like driving on I-40 East of Raleigh, NC in the middle of August. Ahhhhhh....Bacon. Hog Farms have got to be one of the worst smells on the planet. Followed closely by paper mills.
    Hog farms can be.... a little whiffy. Cattle slaughterhouses and geese farms are close seconds.

Mark

We are getting ready to leave on our winter road trip. This year we're going to spend 12 dayd touring the Yellowstone and Black Hills areas, with a little snowmobiling in the middle. We're gonna miss all the sounds and smells that we get when we are traveling in our Vette. We always use the "back roads" in the summer, (7000 miles last summer, 90% top down), so we're going to miss the open car.
    Summers coming though!!

super web site for travelin people!!

Default Your song...

Quote Originally Posted by ness5353
    We always use the "back roads" in the summer, (7000 miles last summer, 90% top down), so we're going to miss the open car.
    That is an impressive number of top-down miles in any summer!
    super web site for travelin people!!
    Thanks much and we have listed your suggestion for a road trip tune.

Mark

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default MMMMMM Burning Leaves, Now That's the Ultimate

Since we're on the subject of great smells, I'd have to nominate burning leaves as the absolute greatest. That rates a window roll-down on even the coldest of days.

Driving by a bakery is a great whiff as well.

Arizona Brad, I bet the freshly processed cedar is great. Would that be cedar chips?

Oh yes, I almost forgot the smell of fresh-mown grass. You could just about bury yourself in it. RoadDog