Default Corvette Cross Country Road Trip

My wife and I drove our 1978 Corvette on a 7000 mile cross country trip leaving Sept 2002.We left San Diego,Ca with 100,001 miles on original engine.I had prepared the Vette 3 months prior and did a 2000 mile shake down prior to leaving.
    On Sunday,the first day,we blew a power steering pressure hose 17 miles east of Yuma. I cut belt to pump,and drove back to Yuma to Chevy dealership.The service Dept was closed,but sales staff called one of their mechanics,and he volunteered to come on his own time to repair our Vette.The dealer loaned me a new truck to go get parts.Luck was with me as I found a new pump,hoses at Pep Boys. After four hours,the repairs were completed,and I paid the mechanic double the rate for giving up his Sunday with his family.
    Rest of trip was just great and we drove 4,000 miles on two lane highways including 340 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina.
    We still have "ole silver" and have completed several shorter road trips since.
    The pic below is from our return trip back to San Diego.....

Default American Kindness

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Woods
    On Sunday,the first day,we blew a power steering pressure hose 17 miles east of Yuma. I cut belt to pump,and drove back to Yuma to Chevy dealership.The service Dept was closed,but sales staff called one of their mechanics,and he volunteered to come on his own time to repair our Vette.The dealer loaned me a new truck to go get parts.Luck was with me as I found a new pump,hoses at Pep Boys. After four hours,the repairs were completed,
    Rich, Great field report. Always enjoy hearing of those rescue missions completed on the byways of America for us roadtrippers. Thanks too, for the photo of the 'Vette!
    Rest of trip was just great and we drove 4,000 miles on two lane highways including 340 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina.
    Do you have some photos and/or current recommendations about traveling along the Blue Ridge Parkway?

Thanks again,

mark

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default The Creed of the Road Still Exists

Thanks for the story reaffirming that the "Creed of the Road" as I call it hasn't died yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Editor
    Rich, Great field report. Always enjoy hearing of those rescue missions completed on the byways of America for us roadtrippers. Thanks too, for the photo of the 'Vette!
    Do you have some photos and/or current recommendations about traveling along the Blue Ridge Parkway?

Thanks again,

mark
    Here are two pics on Parkway...click on thumbnails

We joined Parkway at North Carolina/Virginia stateline in October...best months are October/May...October for fall colors..May for flowers...many exits on/off Parkway...we drove straight thru via Asheville and on to Gatlinburg,TN over the Smokie Mountains...it was a beautiful drive..we had fog here and there and did not stop at all Parkway attractions...there is good info on the National Park Service site...speed limit is 45 mph on that route...so if you want to take it all in,plan to drive it over a couple days..the Parkway also extends into Virginia..think the entire length is around 460 miles..hope this helps someone..
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Brad
    Thanks for the story reaffirming that the "Creed of the Road" as I call it hasn't died yet.
    We have been road tripping since 1967..cars,campers,tent trailers..but most memorable have been in that Vette since 1979..best laundrymat in entire country was in Grants,New Mexico......takes planning as far as luggage...two duffle bags,camrea bag..some jackets/rain gear..always keep water bottles in small cooler.....we UPS stuff home we buy along the way..
    Next trip will be a short one:Utah/Colorado/Montana/Wyoming...probably zig zag but main route will be hwy 93 out of Vegas..we NEVER make reservations,anywhere !!
    Edit:Forgot about tools..There is a small compartment behind pass seat where I keep tools...can repair most things...these days I keep funds in checking for major stuff..but that power steering hose was only break down in all these years..
    Last edited by Rich Woods; 01-16-2006 at 10:22 AM.