The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Woodstock, Illinois Groundhog Day Festival

Attention all you fans of the movie Groundhog Day!!!!! Bill Murray got stuck in the great old square gracing Woodstock, Illinois, back in 1993 and from January 29th to February 5th, you can too.

Woodstock has been celebrating the making of the film Groundhog Day since then and each year the party gets better. I have been to the last two and will be back for a third time.

A lot of this movie was filmed on location and you will be able to visit many of the sites on the 4th and 5th and get a lot of inside information on the making of the movie. Two years ago Stephen Tobolowski, who played Ned, gave a tour on Saturday and Sunday and last year it was the site manager.

Every year, a new plaque is placed at a filming site. This year, it will be at the car crash. Plus, there will be free viewings of the movie at the theater featured in the movie where Bill Murray did his best Clint Eastwood imitation.

It all kicks off on January 29th with a pancake breakfast at the Moose Lodge where the Groundhog Dance was held in the movie. Plus, on Thursday, February 2nd, Woodstock Willie will make his prediction on the histoic square that dates back to the 1850s.

For more information: http://woodstockilchamber.com/pages/groundhog2006.html

So, if you live near the northeastern part of Illinois, or, will be travelling in the area, this is where you want to be.

Default This does sound like a hoot

Quote Originally Posted by RoadDog
    Attention all you fans of the movie Groundhog Day!!!!! Bill Murray got stuck in the great old square gracing Woodstock, Illinois, back in 1993 and from January 29th to February 5th, you can too.
    I hope you will file a field report on your return! It does sound fun!

Mark

Default you learn something everyday...

I've been through Woodstock dozens of times and had no idea that movie was filmed there. If I'm free one of those weekends, I may just have to go down and check it out.

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default See the movie again

The first time I went, I thought I had seen the movie, but obviously didn't remember much of it as we walked around. Either see the movie at home or get to Woodstock to see the free showing at the Woodstock (excuse me Alpine in the movie) theatre.

Also, right up the road in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, they're holding the 11th Annual Winterfest and National Snow Sculpting Competition at the Riviera Park on that weekend, Feb 4th and 5th. You won't believe what they do with those 10 foot blocks of snow. You can search the internet for more info and pictures of past winners. There are also plenty of places to watch the Super Bowl right in town.

Hmmmmm.....I'm surprised that the movie wasn't really filmed in Punxsutawney, Penn. I had no idea. Thanks for sharing and let us know how your trip went.