1. Default Driving from Las Vegas To Glendale

Hi there,

My Wife and I are flying from Canada to Las Vegas near the end of January. We are also driving from Las Vegas to Glendale. I have researched the Route and am hoping that someone can answer a few questions for me. It looks like the best Route is the US 93 most of the way there. I can't find anywhere on the Net what the road is like. Is it divided, or just a 2 lane highway? Also, is it an ok road, because what I have read so far it doesn't seem to be the greatest, with hair pin turns and such. As far as weather, we should be ok. Being from Canada we drive in the snow 4-5 months of the year, but hopefully there won't be any just for a nice change. Any help advice or tips on this drive would be greatly appreciated. We are driving to Glendale in the morning and coming back the same day. Kind of a quick event.

Thanks

2. Default One more thing

I have been researching some more and it seems that taking the Flagstaff Route on I-40 and I-15 may be a nicer drive with a divided highway the whole way. It looks like it adds about 115 miles to the trip but if you can go faster and pass other cars this might be the way to go? Again I researched US 93 and there are a lot of bad things said about that highway. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Default One of the nicest roads in the west

Again I researched US 93 and there are a lot of bad things said about that highway. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Welcome to the Forum! Where did you find the bad press about US-93 and what were the dates of the postings? US-93 between I-40 and Wickenburg has been completely re-built and is a virtual four-lane highway with beautiful arching curves, remarkable desert landscaping and one of our favorite roads. I frequently drive US-93 between Las Vegas and Phoenix and the entire distance is a fine drive. The obvious highlights would be crossing the Hoover Dam (that will be impossible in another 2-3 years) and viewing the desert views.
    It looks like it adds about 115 miles to the trip but if you can go faster and pass other cars this might be the way to go?it seems that taking the Flagstaff Route on I-40 and I-15 may be a nicer drive with a divided highway the whole way. It looks like it adds about 115 miles to the trip but if you can go faster and pass other cars this might be the way to go?
    Faster? I don't think so -- highway speeds are about the same, but it will take at least 3-4 more hours if you choose the longer route.
    Also, is it an ok road, because what I have read so far it doesn't seem to be the greatest, with hair pin turns and such.
    Hair pin turns? The only place there could such a thing would be the road as it climbs out of the canyon just past the Hoover Dam -- but this was road was build to accomodate larger trucks (that can't use this route anymore) and so you will be fine. Sometimes there is congestion here -- but even this slow down will be faster than the detour you have specified.

Relax, it is a nice drive.

Mark

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default US93 vs interstates

Oilers,
    It looks like it adds about 115 miles to the trip but if you can go faster and pass other cars this might be the way to go?
    I agree with Mark, I think US93 would be a faster in this case, even if the speed limit is a little higher on the interstate. The speed limits in Arizona are still higher than those we have in Canada anyway:-)
    Again I researched US 93 and there are a lot of bad things said about that highway.
    I'm quite surprised because I've driven there just a few weeks ago and it was magnificient. US93 becomes the Joshua Tree Parkway about 25 miles NW of Wickenburg, I had the chance to drive through that area at sunset. There are cactus everywhere, boulders, desert scenery,... I don't know who told you that US93 was "bad" but they must be kind of blaséed!:-)

It's true I heard some people talk about the bad drivers on that road. Apparently, there are some gamblers on their way to or on their way back from Las Vegas who have no consideration for other drivers, some are drunk and/or drive too fast and cause accidents. Personally, I never encountered any agressive driver in that area, but if this story is in any way true, there are probably half of them who use the interstates! Chances are, you're more likely to run into a wild animal on US93 than into an agressive drunk Vegas gambler who wants to challenge you if you ask me.

If you ever decide to take I-40 and I-17 anyway, you should stop in Sedona to visit Red Rock State Park and Oak Creek Canyon. If you have some extra time drive to Jerome, an old mining town perched on the side of a mountain. The views are incredible and they have cute little boutiques and cafés. If you choose US93, you can use route 89 to get up there, it's a very scenic drive.

Have a great trip
    Gen
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-12-2006 at 01:41 PM. Reason: formatting

5. Default Thanks for the correct info

Wow, I guess I must have been reading old stuff. I was just searching on Google, and that's where I got the info. I just have one more question. You said that it is a 4 lane highway between the I-40 and Wickenburg, all in all how much of the entire drive from Vegas to Glendale is divided highway?

Thanks very much for the info, it will be very helpful!

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Driving from Las Vegas

Oilers,
    You said that it is a 4 lane highway between the I-40 and Wickenburg, all in all how much of the entire drive from Vegas to Glendale is divided highway?
    Almost all of it. Depending upon where you start in Las Vegas -- Interstate 515 (is the same road as US-93 & US-95) down near the junction of US 93 and US 95. Right before that intersection, there is a traffic light (an old-fashioned remnant of the old highway) but it is still a four-lane highway. When you reach Boulder City, you can take the scenic route through the town or use the bypass -- again it is a four-lane road with some traffic lights, but it moves at or close to highway speed. Just past Boulder City the road narrows to two lane (as part of the construction zone for the new six lane highway being built) and it is a two-lane, but still excellent roadway until you reach the Arizona side of the Colorado. From there it is mostly four-lane with some occasional alternating three lane sections. From Wikieup there's a passing lane every 5 miles or so until you get to Wickenburg. You shouldn't worry too much because unless there is still road work by the time you get there (I seriously doubt it), I'm pretty sure you won't run in any traffic jams in that area. The only hamlet on US93 between Wikieup and Wickenburg is called Nothing and has a population of 4!:-)

Gen
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-12-2006 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Typos

7. Default Thanks again

Well I think that pretty much answers my questions. Thnak you all for setting me straight on this. I'm not usually so worried about roads but we are driving to see our beloved Oilers play the Coyotes, and me being from Canada Hockey is life!! Can't be late for that one!!

Thanks again

8. Default US93 from I-40 to Wickenburg -- an alternative viewpoint

This stretch of road is still under construction in places and CAN be dangerous under certain circumstances otherwise. The upgrades to the highway will not be totally complete for many months yet, although many of the most dangerous spots have been widened and upgraded. However, knowledge of what is dangerous about this highway can help you avoid trouble. These are the problems you may encounter:

US93 is the main route between the Phoenix area and Las Vegas and Laughlin, NV. Most drivers do NOT use the I-40 / I-17 alternative you mention as it doesn't save any time because of the extra distance. It is, however, a spectacular drive, but so is US93.

On Friday, and on Sunday afternoons, there is a major exodus of drivers northbound and southbound on this highway -- the weekend crowds going to and from the gambling meccas. As such, there are many fatigued drivers, impaired drivers, and impatient (and speeding) drivers. These are the three main problems that can cause danger. In addition, the older sections that have not been reconstructed yet were designed in the 1930s era and were never intended for the higher speeds we are capable of driving today.

So, plan your journey for other than Friday or Sunday evening (to avoid the crowds). Be watchful and keep fairly close to the speed limits. Be careful about passing. Over 500 people have been killed on this stretch of highway in the past 10 years -- and the locations of their collisions used to be marked with white crosses (many taken down during the construction projects). Most of the white crosses were located at the beginnings and ends of no-pass stripes.

You can drive safely on this highway as long as you keep yourself controlled and pay attention to what the other drivers are doing. Don't let anyone or anything surprise you. Bob