1. Default Palm Springs to Grand Canyon - help!

My partner and I (plus daughter) are driving around W USA next March and April, and have all our accomodation booked apart from one section, and I was wondering if you might be able to advise?

We need to get from Palm Springs to the Grand Canyon, and we have 3 nights accomodation missing.

We were thinking of driving from Palm Springs to Lake Havasu, staying over one night, then driving to Grand Canyon and staying there for 2 nights before heading to Las Vegas where we have hotel booked.

Is Lake Havasu the best place to stay? Any hotel recommendations? Also, any pointers on where to stay in Grand Canyon?

Many thanks, and great forum!

Default Best is Relative

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forum

Quote Originally Posted by Firecracker
    Is Lake Havasu the best place to stay?
    Lake Havasu is, indeed, probably the best place to stop over for the night between Palm Springs and the Grand Canyon. It's roughly half way and is easily the biggest town along your route. Also, it's a destination for some people and it has a wide range of accommodations available, everything from Motel 6 to resorts.

Any hotel recommendations? Also, any pointers on where to stay in Grand Canyon?
    These are much more problematical and really depend on what you want and what you're willing to pay. By all means, go on line and just GoogleŽ "Lake Havasu motel" and see what appeals to you, same for the Grand Canyon. You should be able to find something.

AZBuck

Default Grand Canyon Recommendations

My partner and I (plus daughter) are driving around W USA next March and April, and have all our accomodation booked apart from one section, and I was wondering if you might be able to advise?
    Well, my first advice is: DON'T BOOK ANY MORE ACCOMODATIONS! Look forward to a little more uncertainity -- here are some more tips on this.
    Also, any pointers on where to stay in Grand Canyon?
    One of the Forum moderators is an expert on the South Rim motels and his comments can be found by using the search above or "...I recommend lodging at the Grand Canyon Park Lodges (reservations through Xanterra). They are all on or close to the Rim. The El Tovar and Bright Angel or Kachina Lodges have the best views. The El Tovar is the swankiest of the bunch. You need at least a full day and two nights to adequately see the Canyon..."
    Many thanks, and great forum!
    thanks!

Mark

4. Default

Thanks for all the advice, we wanted to stay at the Bright Angel but it is fully booked, managed to get a room for two nights at the Thunderbird though, can't wait to see the Grand Canyon.

As for booking in advance, I loved the thrill of not knowing where I'd be staying when I was single, but having an 8 year on the road trip means I think I'd have a nervous breakdown if I didn't have the comfort of knowing we had a room waiting for us every night ;)

Maybe we will throw caution to the wind and just see what we like the look of at Lake Havasu.

Thanks again, looking forward to our US trip very much.