1. Default February Roadtrip - San Fran-Yosemite-DV-Las Vegas!

Hi All,

I'm looking for some help. My wife and I are travelling from England on 4th Feb for, what we are hoping will be, a fantastic 3-week break in California/Nevada.

I know there are lots and lots of posts on this site re. the route between Yosemite and DV, but I need some advice and guidance PLS!

Our plan was to drive from Yosemite to DV in one-day, via the Tioga pass and down the I365. From reading on this site, I understood yesterday that this pass is closed - and in fact, so will most of the passes above this!

Our current planned route is up the CA-49, across the I-50 and then down the I-365.

My concern is on these roads. Will they all definately be open? Is the I-365 ever closed? Does anyone have any idea on the projected weather for the first couple of weeks of Feb?

Having seen all the very useful info on this site, we are now planning to make the trip over 2 days - stoping at Lake Tahoe. However, my questions still remain - will our planned roadtrip be ok?

Thanks in advance!
    Kevin.

Unfortunately there is no way to predict the specific weather conditions a few weeks from now. The route you are taking is excellent if the weather cooperates and could be dodgy if not. US50 (not I50) does close very occasionaly but not for long, a few hours usually. US395 (not I365) can also close but it is less likely. If 395 was to be severely affected by weather and you needed to make time to LV you could go further east and use I95 which is a major route and not so weather affected, not nearly as scenic either.
    If you have time drive some of the east shore of Lake Tahoe or even all the way round it if the west side is open. After a new snowfall the lake is one of the wonders of the world. Take some of the side roads up into the residential areas for stunning views.
    NE from Incline Village on the lake route 431 goes up high to Mt Rose where there are some good views, you could go all the way over to 395 and back to US50 to make a loop back to Tahoe, try Bodine's on the corner of 395 and 50 for lunch, eat in the bar area for atmosphere.

Default Another US-395 Eatery of note

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gower
    Our current planned route is up the CA-49, across the I-50 and then down the US-395.
    In addition to Killer's excellent suggestions, I would suggest a lunch-time stop at our favorite Basque restaurant -- JT's.
    Having seen all the very useful info on this site, we are now planning to make the trip over 2 days - stoping at Lake Tahoe. However, my questions still remain - will our planned roadtrip be ok?
    You are going to enjoy Lake Tahoe -- try and take the drive around the lake. Emerald Bay is hard to beat:

Mark