Thread: Phoenix to Snow

florida1951 Guest

Default Phoenix to Snow

Am spending 10 days in Phoenix over Christmas, but would like to take my 9 year old to see snow (as we live in Florida and he's driving me crazy over it). What's the shortest route to snow from Phoenix? Also, is the train from Willilams to the Grand Canyon worth it? Thanks.

Default Odds are...

Quote Originally Posted by florida1951
    Am spending 10 days in Phoenix over Christmas, but would like to take my 9 year old to see snow (as we live in Florida and he's driving me crazy over it). What's the shortest route to snow from Phoenix? Also, is the train from Willilams to the Grand Canyon worth it?
    Welcome to the Forum!

Odds are that you can find snow in Flagstaff over the holidays. I have seen snow in the desert just outside Phoenix, but if you really want to be guaranteed of seeing snow, I would take I-17 north to Flagstaff, here are some links to popular sledding areas (in case he really wants to play in it). Distance to Flagstaff is 144 miles -- about 2.5 hours.

Depending upon weather, there might well be enough snow to play in within about 20 miles of Phoenix. But we will have to see what the storms bring us.

mark

3. Default Flagstaff

As Mark says, Flagstaff is the nearest and most likely opportunity. The fairgrounds just south of town is a good place to play in it, and there are places along US180 north of town and at the Snowbowl (also off US180).

I haven't ridden that Grand Canyon train myself, but I've heard nothing but good things about it -- especially fun for kids as they do an old-west style hold-up enroute I've heard. Bob

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default The Polar Express @ GCRW

FYI, this time of year the Grand Canyon Railway runs The Polar Express... as they have for the last few years. it's a great time for kids. From what I have learned by the travel agents I work with, the train leaves Williams and travels up to a 'Santas Village' approximately 3/4 up the route. Along the way, the train employees lead everyone in carols and read christmas stories... for more info, visit www.thetrain.com. My desk is right next to the AAA Arizona travel call center, and thats one of the primary things they get calls about, and it sounds like quite an experience.
    Last edited by RoadTripper Brad; 11-27-2005 at 04:29 PM. Reason: add title

Default Sounds like fun

Quote Originally Posted by Cascadia4-brad m
    FYI, this time of year the Grand Canyon Railway runs The Polar Express... as they have for the last few years. it's a great time for kids.
    Brad, Thanks for the info. One of these days I will have to do that run.

mark

Default Another Snow Option

When I was living in Tucson, I headed up to Mt. Lemmon/Summerhaven to get my winter snow fix. I also enjoy the drive up there, gaining 8-9,000 feet of elevation in a 30 mile drive, although I haven't been up there since the fire a couple years ago.

From Phoenix, Flagstaff is probably closer and a better choice, but if you're heading to Southern Arizona, its another option.

Default Not for the faint of heart

Quote Originally Posted by imported_Midwesterner
    When I was living in Tucson, I headed up to Mt. Lemmon/Summerhaven to get my winter snow fix. I also enjoy the drive up there, gaining 8-9,000 feet of elevation in a 30 mile drive, although I haven't been up there since the fire a couple years ago. From Phoenix, Flagstaff is probably closer and a better choice, but if you're heading to Southern Arizona, its another option.
    I agree that the views from Mt. Lemmon are some of the best in the west, but driving that road when it is icy.... Yikes!

Mark

Default ice

I wouldn't recommend heading up there during a storm, but from what I remember, they do a pretty good job of getting the road plowed and salted within a day or two.

Of course, with most Tucson-area drivers not used to traveling through rain, much less snow or ice, a little extra caution goes a long way.