Thread: LA to NY

filmstrip Guest

Default LA to NY

Me and my best friend are taking a road trip this summer from Los Angeles to New York. we are starting north, hitting san francisco first. our main goal is Newe York but we are making this a 6 week trip and want to hit as many major citie and different places that we can. after San Francisco we plan on hitting seattle and then vancouver canada for a couple a days. from there we want to stop at most major cities along the way too NY. on the way back we are taking the southern routes. this is our first time and we want it to be the best experince it can possibly be, so any advice would be great.

THANX!

2. Default Which route?

There are several different choices for Vancouver to New York -- do you intend to stay north of the border, or take the northern-most route through the USA -- Minneapolis, Chicago, Detroit, etc, or dip south even further and see Denver, Kansas City, St Louis, Indy, Cleveland, etc? Any one of these is possible. What sounds the best to you? Bob

filmstrip Guest

we were planning on taking the northern most route through the USA, but we were also thinking about staying in canada through till chicago. we're kinda going for the quickest route to the east considering that most of the cities we plan on spending more time on are on the east coast. and one more question. is 6 weeks really enough to enjoy all these cities we plan on hitting?

Default Quickest Route?

Quote Originally Posted by filmstrip
    we were planning on taking the northern most route through the USA, but we were also thinking about staying in canada through till chicago. we're kinda going for the quickest route to the east considering that most of the cities we plan on spending more time on are on the east coast.
    Your chosen route, (LA to NYC by way of Seattle & Canadian highways) would probably fit the bill as just about the slowest possible route, so are you sure you really are in a hurry?
    and one more question. is 6 weeks really enough to enjoy all these cities we plan on hitting?
    It depends entirely on what you are planning to do in these cities. The soonest you could reach NYC with the route you have specified is six days -- flat-out with short nights. If you spend 2-3 days checking out the sites and night-life, etc. Your trip to NYC will easily exceed three weeks. Likewise for the return trip -- I am not sure which cities you are considering as major -- but that leg of the trip could easily exceed six weeks by itself. So, I think you will need to narrow down the scope of your trip (at least in your time-budgets).

Mark

Default For some things to see...

I'd strongly suggest that you cross the Rockies in Canada, but cross the plains in the US. The Canadian Rockies are gorgeous (not that those in the US aren't but you never know when you might get back here) and I'd make sure that I saw Glacier and Banff National Parks at a minimum, but from there, I think you'd be much better served to head south by way of AB-2, US-89 (to Waterton-Glacier International Park) and I-15 to I-90 and use that as your road eastward across the plains. This offers the opportunity to make a quick dash into Yellowstone, as well as see the Little Big Horn, Devil's Tower, Mt. Rushmore, Badlands National Park, Wall Drug, and the Corn Palace among other sights. I've driven both this route and the Trans-Canada highway across the plains and I just think you'll enjoy the southern (US) route more.

AZBuck

filmstrip Guest

we want to make it to NY in no more than 5 days. and we want to be in new york about another 5 days. we're filmmakers and we have a dead line and the most we could possibly extend this trip is by another 2 weeks. what do you suggest is the quickest way to NY after we hit Vancouver?

Default Fastest BC to NY

The quickest route from Vancouver to New York is just to immediately drop back into the US via BC-99 and I-5 and then take I-90 and I-80 to NYC.

AZBuck

filmstrip Guest

thanks for the quick response!

if you have any more advice for 2 girls on thier first road trip PLEASE feel free.

Thanx again!

Default Not (reasonably) possible

Quote Originally Posted by filmstrip
    we want to make it to NY in no more than 5 days.
    I just want to make sure I am clear about this... You want to drive from LA to Vancouver and still make NYC within 5 days? Unless you are both professionial drivers and are willing to drive without sleep, it is impossible to drive from LA to Vancouver, BC and then on to NYC in less than six days.

Mark

filmstrip Guest

woooo! no no no i want to make it from Vancouver to NY in no more than 5 days! im a little ambitious but not crazy lol.