ROBPM Guest

Default From Vegas to SF at this time of year

Hi,

Hope somebody can help with a great bit of good luck that's just been put my way.. I'm flying in to vegas late next week and after doing some work in the morning I have pretty much 3 days before I fly home to the UK from San Francisco, I'd like to spend some time in the city but really thought I'd take advantage of the roads and see some of the country (yosemite?) along the way, so my question is this - If I leave vegas around 3pm where should I head? where can I stay along the way? so that I can spend the next day driving and arrive in SF that night, getting to see some of the country on the drive inbetween?
    Many thanks in advance..

Default If your luck holds...

Quote Originally Posted by ROBPM
    Hope somebody can help with a great bit of good luck that's just been put my way.. I'm flying in to vegas late next week and after doing some work in the morning I have pretty much 3 days before I fly home to the UK from San Francisco, I'd like to spend some time in the city but really thought I'd take advantage of the roads and see some of the country (yosemite?) along the way, so my question is this - If I leave vegas around 3pm where should I head? where can I stay along the way? so that I can spend the next day driving and arrive in SF that night, getting to see some of the country on the drive inbetween?
    Welcome to the Forum. That does sound like a bit of good luck!

As of this moment -- CA SR-120 is still open over the incomparable Tioga Pass into Yosemite Nationa Park. It is nearly impossible to predict if it will still be open next week. But, if your luck, holds you could go that way. Here is a link to a web cam showing part of Tioga Pass...

Since it gets dark here about 5:00 pm, and you will not be leaving until 3:00 pm, what I suggest is that you stay overnight at Furnace Creek in Death Valley National Park. Furnace Creek Inn is a little pricey, and the Furnace Creek Ranch is more motel-like. No matter what -- try and eat at the Furnace Creek Inn restaurant!

From Death Valley you can choose your route depending upon whether or not Tioga Pass is open. (There are other routes over the mountains north of Tioga, but your time requirement to reach San Francisco make those other routes challenging.)

If Tioga Pass is closed, I would head south on SR 178 and then west to US-395. If you like mountain driving head north to County 41 and cross the southern Sierras or continue on west on SR-178 through Lake Isabella and then due west across the central valley to US-101 and then north to San Francisco.

Have fun!

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 11-23-2005 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Add a link

ROBPM Guest

Sounds good, I'll look into it thanks!!