1. Default Cross Country....AGAIN, ugh...

last May of '05, I drove from Wash DC to San Jose...flying down RT-80....no jailtime, whew.

but now it's November, and I don't want to take a chance driving a RWD Trans Am convertible through Lake Tahoe, Wyoming, Utah, etc. (using RT-80).

can someone help me with a route down South?

I like clear roads with 75 mph speed limits. is this possible using RT-40?

RT-70 will likely be snowy too right? this car cannot handle a 1/2 inch of snow. well it could, but i'd be really scared doing it. :( thanks in advance.

Default Snow could be a given

Quote Originally Posted by mk1
    ...but now it's November, and I don't want to take a chance driving a RWD Trans Am convertible through Lake Tahoe, Wyoming, Utah, etc. (using RT-80).
    As a convention -- you may find it helpful to use the designations that the highway department uses -- so that our responses to you are less confusing. State Route are state highways (like CA SR-58) and Interstate Highways are federally sponsored (like I-80). It turns out that there are several RT-40's in the USA but only one I-40...
    can someone help me with a route down South?
    I like clear roads with 75 mph speed limits. is this possible using I-40?
    The reality is that there is no route in the USA that will be 100% storm-free in November. In fact, there is no route in the western USA (until you pass Texas) that will be 100% snow-free. Some of the most intense ice/snow storms I have ever experienced happened along I-40 in Texas in November.

What I would suggest is that you look at the long-term weather predictions (best weather guesses) for the period that you want to travel and determine if you can make it back on I-80 (which is the fastest and most direct route back to Washington DC).

I-70 is gorgeous in November and could be a good choice -- but, again, you need to look at the weather 24-48 hours out -- no other way to predict your best route for storm-free travel.

The southern route -- could add 1-2 days to your cross country travel. It will be impacted by winter storms in the west, central and eastern states. The impact of these moisture-heavy storms could be minimal or major. But the route that has the best chance of good weather would be San Jose to I-5 to CA SR-58 to US-395 to I-15 to I-215 to I-10 to I-20 to I-85 to I-95 and arriving in Washington DC. If the roads are clear and dry, you should have no problem traveling at the 70-75 mph rate you have suggested.

Mark

3. Default

Thanks for you help Mark.

BTW, what is the fastest and least conjested route to get from San Jose to I-40? You gave it to me above, but is that the least conjested road?

And once I'm on I-40, I shouldn't try to get back onto I-80 right? I just like I-80 because it was so clear and fast.

I'm not looking to see any sights or anything....just drive....sleep....drive.
    Last edited by mk1; 11-09-2005 at 01:48 PM.

Default Fast is not the same as Less-Congested!

Quote Originally Posted by mk1
    BTW, what is the fastest and least congested route to get from San Jose to I-40? You gave it to me above, but is that the least conjested road?
    -- Yes, it is the way I would go -- it is the fastest and most direct, but certainly not the least congested. There are plenty of slower routes, with less traffic -- but if you want to make the fastest tracks -- the route specified above is the way to do it.
    And once I'm on I-40, I shouldn't try to get back onto I-80 right? I just like I-80 because it was so clear and fast
    . It all depends on the weather... If, when you get to Oklahoma City, the outlook is for clear, dry weather than you can take the turnpike up to I-44 and then I-70 all the way to Washington DC. It would be non-sensical detour to go all the way north to I-80 and then dip south back into Washington DC.

Mark

Default Faster?

Quote Originally Posted by Editor
    I-5 to CA SR-58 to US-395 to I-15 to I-215 to I-10
    I always thought turning south from CA-58 at CA-14 to Palmdale and then CA-138 to I-15 was faster than using US-395.

I've never taken your suggestion though, so I certainly could be wrong.

Of course I've also seen a tv show calling CA-138 the most dangerous road in America, so even if the way I always went was faster, it might not be the safest.

Default California SR-14

Quote Originally Posted by imported_Midwesterner
    I always thought turning south from CA-58 at CA-14 to Palmdale and then CA-138 to I-15 was faster than using US-395.
    I have done both recently -- although SR-14 is now all freeway -- it is the primary commuter route and frequently congested. But, I had forgot about SR-138 ( it is a very pretty drive -- and I really like those dips, at speed...). So, perhaps your route is better!

Mark