This is my first time on your site and I find it VERY informative - thank you.
We are from Cape Town South Africa and this trip would be our first to Arizona. Tucson is our first stay from 27 - 1 Jan '6, then Sedona from 1 - 8 Jan. Ideally, we would use Sedona as base to explore Grand Canyon, Monument Valley etc... We are traveling with our 3 children, ages 3, 8 & 12yrs.
My husbands favourite past-time is photography and we would love to stop at most scenic & safe spots. My questions are as follow:
1. Most scenic route from Phoenix towards SF with 1 or 2 stopovers?
2. Which is better to travel; PHX to San Diego or PHX to SF?
3. Alternatively, Sedona to SF or back to PHX to either SD or LA?
(I have a weather concern, please suggest best routes, eliminating snow/narrow passes - we are not experienced snow/tyre chain drivers.)
...and regarding the safety aspect; in my country we have the most beautiful scenic places, but you always have to be on high alert for murderers and robbers. You can't even stop at some places to enjoy a picnic or go walking in nature. There are exceptions to the rule - in more secured areas like National Parks and Reserves, but even there sometimes you feel unsafe.)
4. I would love to travel south along the scenic Pacific Coast to Santa Cruz and the Monterey Bay.
5. We have traveling time from 8 - 20 Jan.
6. What is the weather difference from AZ to CA?
I really appreciate your input and time to answer my questions. If it wasn't for forums like yours I would get lost.