Rogue5_jm Guest

Default San Antonio to Seattle (with a stopover)

Hey, I just found this site recently, thought I'd ask for some help.

I'm moving from the San Antonio area to Seattle in the near future, so I was wondering what would be the safest way to drive up there in a FWD Sedan. I'm planning on leaving on January the 2nd, stopping near Amarillo, TX and leaving on the 6th for Seattle. I'd like to be there by the 9th.

I've already made the trip to Amarillo countless times, so I got my route there, the trouble is getting to Seattle. Would going to Denver then following the interstates be the best way? or should I go south of the main part of the rockies to California or Nevada and then north through Oregon?

I don't really plan to go sightseeing, just want to know the safest way to get there reasonably fast.

2. Default Safe from what?

Is it weather you are concerned about, specifically, or something else? If weather, you can encounter winter conditions on any route between these two points, so keep an eye on conditions and decide your route just before you go. You can check highway conditions using our links here on RoadTrip America.

My choice of route for this journey based on your specifications is the simplest, most direct one -- US287 to Denver, then I-25 to I-80, I-84, and I-82 into Seattle. Denver - Salt Lake - Boise - etc. An alternative would be to use I-70 west from Denver, then US191 and US6 through Price, Utah to I-15, and that north to I-84. A little less direct, but a beautiful drive. Bob