jemmcmillan Guest

Default Moving-Oklahoma City to Buffalo

Hi,

Two women driving a moving truck from Oklahoma City to Buffalo, New York. We are leaving on December 14. Neither one of us has ever done a long trip like this. Thankfully the truck is only a ten foot. We plan on going slow and stay at hotels at night. Hopefully we will get there in 2 to 3 days. We would appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks

Best of luck to the two of you. I pray you don't get stuck on the way there, because December 14 is a real roll of the dice in the North, especially east of any Great Lake.

If you are taking I-70 thru Illinois, please see if you can stop in Vandalia. I owe the friendly people there so much after getting stuck once.

Dan

Default Truckin'

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forum!

If you stick to the Interstates (I-44, I-70, I-71, I-90) this really should not be that bad a drive. There are cars from the late 50's that are longer than the truck you'll be driving. Three days is about right for a leisurely drive. I agree with Dan's warning about lake effect snow. You're most likely to run into this on the last leg from Cleveland to Buffalo. Most motels have the Weather Channel available, so just check it each evening and be willing to delay your arrival a bit. The folks in that area are well used to clearing off roads in a hurry, so I doubt you'd have to wait more than a day.

Other than that, relax and enjoy the trip. Oh, and make sure you have some way to play your favorite music, and take some time out of the truck along the way. If you've got other, more specific questions or concerns, don't hesitate to ask.

AZBuck

I apologize if my last post on this thread sounded too negative. I don't want to scare or discourage anyone from driving the Interstates in the North.

I agree wholeheartedly with AZBuck. It is true that the Interstates get primary care after snowstorms, as I can attest to, even in southern Illinois. These days, it is much harder to get stuck in storms with TWC and local stations monitoring storms.