Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yosemite Roads?

New-Road-Tripper Guest

Default Yosemite Roads?

Hi

New here, the site looks great and I hope to be able to use this as a resource today and moving forward. I a, looking for some information from an experienced Road Tripper or two. Looking at going from LA Area to Yosemite and then onto Vegas. I have done some reading and it seems the passage is closed in the winter. Will this path be closed in November and if so is there a path that will allow a visit to Yosemite and then onto Vegas without taking me to far out of my way? Thanks

2. Default

I just got back from Yosemite yesterday. Tioga pass is still open, but it will most probably be closed in November. If you come from LA, you'll probably have to backtrack a little and come down the 41 to the 99, then cut across the 58 to the 15. It's a little further distance, but it's not that bad since you'll be driving mostly highways.
    Last edited by LA Native; 10-10-2005 at 04:27 PM.

New-Road-Tripper Guest

Thanks for the response..

Hmm. I was hoping for some kind of scenic route.. We may also start in San Jose. Looks like cheaper flights..

New-Road-Tripper Guest

Just looking at a Map..

Wonder if this would work.. Yosemite to Death Valley to Vegas if the Tioga Pass is closed. Anyone done this?

I've been that way -- south from Fresno to Bakersfield, across the Mojave Desert and into Baker CA (home of the world's largest thermometer!), and north on 127 through Death Valley. You can drive a little bit of Route 66 East here through Barstow. The desert and Death Valley can get a little monotonous, but a trip to Scotty's Castle is worthwhile. I took an even longer route, north again through Goldfield and Tonopah NV to cruise the "Extraterrestrial Highway" (Route 375) through Rachel NV and past Area 51; then south on 93 into Las Vegas.

New-Road-Tripper Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PSU 98
    I've been that way -- south from Fresno to Bakersfield, across the Mojave Desert and into Baker CA (home of the world's largest thermometer!), and north on 127 through Death Valley. You can drive a little bit of Route 66 East here through Barstow. The desert and Death Valley can get a little monotonous, but a trip to Scotty's Castle is worthwhile. I took an even longer route, north again through Goldfield and Tonopah NV to cruise the "Extraterrestrial Highway" (Route 375) through Rachel NV and past Area 51; then south on 93 into Las Vegas.

So If I understand you correctly your saying leave Yosemite towards Bakersfield to Mojave Desert and up through Death Valley.. Wouldn't that be going south to Mojave then back North to Death Valley? Where is Scotty's Castle? and from there what is the path to Vegas (I don't think we care about Area 51)? Again thanks for the help.. Also any idea how long of a drive it would be once I leave Yosemite and any good stopping points for the nite that you recommend?

If the roads going West from Yosemite are closed then you would have to go South. How far South I'm not exactly sure, but there are a line of mountains and national parks south of Yosemite (i.e., King's Canyon, Sequoia Forest) that may have similar seasonal restrictions. I decided to make a long trip of it anyway, so I just took 99 from Fresno into Bakersfield and then headed West.
    If you had to take a long route from Yosemite to Las Vegas, I'd estimate it's at least eight hours of driving -- not counting any type of stops you make along the way. Scotty's Castle is quite a bit farther north than Las Vegas -- I believe it's near the intersection of Rts. 190 and 267 near the CA/NV border -- so it'd probably be out of your way on this trip.

Default Via Bakersfield

If The pass at Yosemite is closed, all of the other passes through Sequoia will likely be closed as well.

Heading south from Yosemite leaves you with basically two options at both start in Bakersfield: CA-58 or CA-178.

CA-178 is a 2 lane road that will take you through the Kern River Canyon, past Lake Isabella, and eventually dump out at 395. From there you can either stay on 178 through Ridgecrest and into Death Valley, or you can cut north for a little ways and then turn east again to head towards DV.

CA-58 is mostly a 4 lane route that will take you through Mohave, from there you can head north on CA-14, to US-395 and continue as above, or stay on CA-58 to Barstow and take I-15 either straight into Vegas or head north to Death Valley at Baker.

178 is more scenic, but 58 is faster, neither gives you the direct route to Death Valley you're really looking for. There really is no other option, other than to head north to I-80 or US 50, and that would be much farther out of your way.

New-Road-Tripper Guest

Thanks for all the info.. I will have to take another look at the map.. I guess I don't have many options cause I want to hit Yosemite and I am assuming the pass will be closed which would make life so much easier.. Again I appreciate everyone's repsonses and if anyone has other suggestions keep them coming..

Quote Originally Posted by PSU 98
    If the roads going West from Yosemite are closed then you would have to go South.
    I think you mean East from Yosemite.