RexBuck Guest

Default MS Streets & Trips questions

Have just purchased MS Streets & Trips 2005 - generally the program does what I want but I can't figure out a couple of things. Any help would be appreciated.

1) I like to be able to print or save maps with a route outlined
    on them. The problem is all of the numbered waypoints (Stops) really
    clutter up the map. Is there a way to turn off the waypoints on
    the map but still have the route hi-lighted?

2) Does MS S&T differentiate between gravel and paved roads? I notice
    on the largest scale map that the legend shows double lines with light
    yellow as "Arterial Road" while double lines with white are called
    "Streets". These are relating to wilderness roads. Have any of you had any
    experience with the type of actual road encountered vs that shown on the
    map? I am trying to identify gravel roads to possibly avoid.

Thanks
    Steve

1) I like to be able to print or save maps with a route outlined on them. The problem is all of the numbered waypoints (Stops) really clutter up the map. Is there a way to turn off the waypoints on the map but still have the route hi-lighted?
    I fought with this myself, and I couldn't find a way to turn off the way points. But I was eventually able to produce maps like you're trying to make (Link). Although cumbersome, the way I did this was to use the highlight tool and clicking along my route. At the end, you right click on the segment and 'Hide Size'.

2) Does MS S&T differentiate between gravel and paved roads? I notice on the largest scale map that the legend shows double lines with light yellow as "Arterial Road" while double lines with white are called "Streets". These are relating to wilderness roads. Have any of you had any experience with the type of actual road encountered vs that shown on the map? I am trying to identify gravel roads to possibly avoid.
    I've checked a few roads that I know are either paved or graded gravel/dirt and can find no difference in the way Streets & Trips portrays them. The legend does not change with scale, but the representation of roads does. Thus a road that does not even show up on a small scale, or even medium scale, map, but is suddenly an 'arterial' route on a large scale map should be treated with suspicion.

That's as much help as I can be. I'd be interested if anyone else has more to add on this program, which I find to be one of the better mapping and planning tools around.

AZBuck

RexBuck Guest

From one Buck to another, thanks for the idea. I can see drawing by hand can be a pain but that may well be the only way to get a clean map.
    Thanks
    Steve