politigal75 Guest

Default Cross country trip planned for October

My brother and I are planning to do a three week road trip from Sacramento CA over to Raleigh NC. We've planned major stops in Denver, Kansas City, St. Louis, Nashville, Raleigh, Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, Dallas, Oklahoma City, El Paso, Phoenix, Riverside before heading home.

I'm looking for some interesting places to visit along the way. I think my favorite stop last year was seeing Carhenge in Nebraska. Or any recommendations you guys have for a long road trip. We took a two week trip last year that took us through the Northwestern part of the U.S., but this is a longer a trip, a lot further and we don't have as many family or friends to visit on the way.

Also wondering about weather for some of the areas, we don't get really cold weather, much less snow here, so I have no clue when it starts to get cold other places.

Default Great Trip you have planned!

One thing that I believe is a "not to be missed" item on your itinerary is the Oklahoma City Memorial in Oklahoma City. It really is breathtaking and humbling, realizing the great tragedy that unfolded there, but the tremendous courage and spirit shown by the local residents in the aftermath. Go to the Museum right by the memorial -- it takes you though the whole thing. Very moving. You can't help but weep when the children sing "Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me".

On a lighter note, we also really enjoyed the Cowboy Museum in Oklahoma City, and of course, no visit to Nashville would be complete without a visit to the Grand Ol Opry and the old Ryman Theatre. A great city.

If you love the old Elvis songs, you must hit Graceland. We thought it would be pretty cheesy -- and some of it was, but you really learn a lot about "The King" and his life -- and leave humming your favorite Elvis song.

In North Carolina - Kittyhawk is pretty interesting, and a drive through the Outer Banks with all its quaint towns is fun -- even though you can't see the ocean, which we thought was a bummer!

Have fun!

What time of year are you planning on this trip? If you go to The Weather Channel and plug in the name of each city you're traveling to, they have a section for average highs/lows for each month. This should give you an idea of what to expect there. Of course, these are averages only so you don't know for sure that will be the type of weather you'll find.

politigal75 Guest

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been waffling on Graceland, there's so much to see and do around there, but we may have to add it to the list. I appreciate the suggestions for Oklahoma City, I hadn't seen too many things that jumped out to go see.

We're leaving September 30th and returning home on October 23rd.

Default more suggestions

In the Dallas area, see a rodeo or some type of horse show. I really enjoyed the Fort Worth Historic Stockyards. Gives you a good feel for what went on in the cattle drive days.

Also the Gateway Arch in St. Louis?

I agree about the Oklahoma bombing memorial. A must see.

You might enjoy Biltmore House in Asheville North Carolina. Lots about it on the internet.

Happy trails....

6. Default

For Nashville, I would suggest getting tickets to the Grand Ole Opry...or maybe just checking out the local music scene. We stayed in a hotel across from OpryLand and while we were having a drink in the bar the bartender just got up on a small stage and started singing and playing (sounded very good too!). I'm not the hugest country music fan, but it's fun to really immerse yourself what makes Nashville famous. (The same goes for going to Beale Street in Memphis and going to a blues club-BB Kings club is right there and was excellent).

For St. Louis, there are three ways to view the Arch. One, you can't miss it if you drive anywhere through the city. Two, you can go park near it and walk around the very nice park where it sits. Three, you can take the evevator ride to the observation deck at the top of the Arch. My wife and I were driving past St. Louis, ended up stopping to get a closer look at the Arch, and the next thing you know we were waiting in line to ride to the top. One bit of warning, the 'pods' that you ride to the top in are kind of small (which my semi-claustrophibic wife didn't know until the elevator doors opened (she got on anyway!).

Default Much Sway?

Quote Originally Posted by tony_brock
    My wife and I were driving past St. Louis, ended up stopping to get a closer look at the Arch, and the next thing you know we were waiting in line to ride to the top. One bit of warning, the 'pods' that you ride to the top in are kind of small (which my semi-claustrophibic wife didn't know until the elevator doors opened (she got on anyway!).
    I have been up a couple of times -- did you watch the movie in the visitor's center? It is excellent and the segment of joining up both sides of the arch was impressive. Those pods are tiny and one would hate to be stuck in one for long -- but what I found amazing was the degree of sway the observation deck enjoys. Almost like riding in a boat!

Mark