ScenicRte Guest

Default Hiking/Camping Yellowstone and Grand Canyon

We're camping right outside of the park in the southern part of Yellowstone. I'd like to hike to or near a water source (creeks, streams, waterfalls.) Also, a few days later we'll be at the Grand Canyon. We plan to hike down into the canyon and camp. We are both intermediate hikers. Any tips?

2. Default Grand Canyon

Hiking at Grand Canyon is almost totally different than hiking in any other place -- except a similar canyon in a similar climate. Here's the best information available anywhere on Grand Canyon hiking -- Denise Traver is an expert, and former ranger at GCNP.

In a nutshell, hike prepared, hike early mornings (or under a full moon), and carry and consume the right kinds of fluids and snacks. Wear the right kind of clothing and boots.

Denise's site has everything you need to know; I'm an experienced desert hiker, and I always review her site before any major expedition. Buen Viaje! Bob

Default Read Tim Cahill's Book

Quote Originally Posted by ScenicRte
    We're camping right outside of the park in the southern part of Yellowstone. I'd like to hike to or near a water source (creeks, streams, waterfalls.) Also, a few days later we'll be at the Grand Canyon. We plan to hike down into the canyon and camp. We are both intermediate hikers. Any tips?
    Tim Cahill's book will give you ideas about places to go that 99% of Yellowstone visitors never see.

Mark