1. Default San Diego Camping Question

I'm not sure where this goes so I'll try here.

Does anyone have any suggestions for summer weekend camping near SD? The main goals are somewhere nice and not in 110 degree heat. It seems that camping is a spring/fall thing here but I just thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

Mario

I've only been to SD once so I can't comment....wasn't even camping on that trip. But is it so hot at night? Doesn't it cool down enough at night to make sleeping more comfortable with the ocean breeze and all?

Sorry I'm not any help. Just curious about how the heat works in SD. In my fairly limited experience with hot water camping, it seems like it always cools down at night more inland (Eastern WA, Idaho, Utah, New Mexico, Arizona). Maybe it's different on the southern CA coast?

swainsam Guest

Default Hot Hot Hot

Hey,

I went camping in SD in August last year, and no exageration the heat was that instense at 3:00 in the morning after no sleep what-so-ever and at the point of being that uncomfortable I was in tears we threw all our things in the back of our van and drove back to LA. It was an experiance I will never forget but also an experiance never to be relived!!!

Not sure where in SD we went camping, but when I remember I will let you know.

Don't no whether that helps or not!!

Default Where in San Diego?

Quote Originally Posted by Skiboysd
    I'm not sure where this goes so I'll try here.
    Does anyone have any suggestions for summer weekend camping near SD? The main goals are somewhere nice and not in 110 degree heat. It seems that camping is a spring/fall thing here but I just thought I'd ask.
    Mario,

I am a little puzzled by swainsam's response -- I can't begin to imagine where he was camping to have that experience, unless it was at one of the interior parks in San Diego county. I have camped a number of times in the Julian area in the summer months and it always cooled down at night. Plus, it often cools at night along the Beach. I am on the road, at the moment, but when I return to the office I will post some suggestions for camping. Are you interested in primitive locations or fully-equipped with showers, etc.?

Mark

5. Default We're talking about San Diego, right?

I, too, am puzzled -- San Diego is where we "Zonies" (San Diegan slang for Arizonans) go when we want to ESCAPE the summer heat! I don't recall ever sweltering there -- ever. Aren't temps usually in the 70's? I'm not talking inland at all -- just in the city close to the coast. Bob

swainsam Guest

Default Borrego Springs

Hey

The place we went was Anza Borrego desert in Borrego Springs!! V Hot :-)

7. Default Understandable!

No doubt about that, then. Anza-Borrego is inland, east of the coast range, in the low southern California desert. It is close to being one of the hottest places in the continental USA. Across the mountains along the coast -- in San Diego proper -- is a world apart -- even though a short distance separates them. Bob