Thread: thanks!

Default thanks!

I've seen it previously in RTA abt mom n pop hotels. I decided to try it out for myself this time to my WA vacation. I managed to find some really good motels(www.motelguide.com). Some for as cheap as $30 for 2 of us.

Thanks to all,

cool

Quote Originally Posted by cool
    I've seen it previously in RTA abt mom n pop hotels. I decided to try it out for myself this time to my WA vacation. I managed to find some really good motels(www.motelguide.com). Some for as cheap as $30 for 2 of us.

Thanks to all,

cool
    I think I would be careful with this guide. I'm sure that some of the hotels are great. I love mom'n pop style motels. However, for my hometown and the town next door to us, virtually all the motels listed are not places I'd stay. For the most part they are run-down, have a lot of long-term tenants who rent weekly, and drug busts are common in many of them.

That said....I looked at the listings for some of the motels in the nearby beach communities. Most of these are OK. There are a few that are a bit seedy but most of them are just funky little beach hotels that would probably be fun to stay in. Some are in a bit of a rundown condition but several others are very nice and pristine.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that I'd try to get some independent corroboration on the type of place they are before I would make reservations with them. Maybe TripAdvisor.com?

oh! Did I make a mistake?
    Well! @ Port Angeles, I have booked with Travelers motel in E 1st Street!!!
    We have a night stay @ Kellogg, ID. :(

The one I am concerned is a "siesta motel" @ Portland, OR. I picked that 'cos that was closer to Columbia Gorge.

As with Glacier NP, I picked up a backpackers Inn in East Glacier Park.

Let me know, Judy!

good that I had time to hear from u before I went ahead. Most of them did not have reservations!!! Just confirmed that they will have rooms available....

Gosh, I'm not familiar enough with those types of hotels out of my area to answer your questions. I did do a check for the one in Port Angeles and found that they had a website It sure looks OK on it. They also own the Royal Victorian motel which is a very nice place. I think you'll be fine.

This page has ratings for some hotels in Portland. The Siesta looks like it scores fairly well there. It scored a 7. A swanky Sherton in downtown Portland scored a 9. Based on that, I would say it sounds OK. But, of course, I have no idea how accurate their review is.

I'm wondering if you could call the visitor centers or Chambers of Commerce that serve the areas where the hotels you're considering are located. I would think they should be able to give you some idea of whether or not they are good choices.

I sure didn't mean to scare you off on using that website. My area has been in an economic slump for about 25 years. My town and the town next door are also the last major towns before you get to the ocean beaches which are only about 20 minutes away. There are LOTS of very nice hotels at the beach with newer ones being built all the time. There has only been one new hotel built here in about 30-40 years (a Guesthouse Inn & Suites which is quite nice and caters more to business travelers). All the other ones are older and are showing their age. In fact, that Gueshouse is in the town next door. My town doesn't have one single decent hotel although there are a couple of nice bed & breakfasts. Anyway, it's possible my town is a bit of an anomaly.

Unless you hit your destination so zonked out that you couldn't bear to look for another motel, remember that you can always keep on driving if you don't have a reservation and don't like what you see.

Gosh....let us know how the hotels were when you get back. That would probably give us a better gauge for how good that website really is.

And, if you're going to Port Angeles, it's possible you're driving right through my town. If you want to try to get together when you're coming through, PM me and we can share info and see what we can work out. I will also be glad to try to help you with info on things to see and do out here on the Olympic Peninsula. Do you have any specific questions I can help you with?

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Hoquium doesn't have a Shilo Inn??? I thought there were a couple of Shilo Inn's in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by Cascadia4-brad m
    Hoquium doesn't have a Shilo Inn??? I thought there were a couple of Shilo Inn's in your area.
    There's a Shilo Inn in Ocean Shores, about 20 minutes away. That's the only one west of I-5 as far as I know. There are no chain motels in Hoquiam at all.

well! I am really surprised. Most of the motels in OR or WA do not accept reservations. Reason being lots of people stay for weeks together. So, good for me.
    I did not want to take a chance. I found an econolodge in Portland for around $40(AAA rate). Think I will go with it.
    We've got to leave on Sat and I still have a reservation at somewhere north of Seattle(we are heading to North Cascades the next day so!)
    Any suggestions or should I settle with a motel 6?

Quote Originally Posted by cool
    well! I am really surprised. Most of the motels in OR or WA do not accept reservations. Reason being lots of people stay for weeks together.
    Actually, this really supports what I was saying about the hotels in my area that are listed. Most people who stay there rent week-to-week as it is a way for low-income people to get housing. Folks who can't come up with a deposit, first-month/last-month rent, etc. often stay at these places. Now, please understand, just because they are low-income doesn't mean that they are bad people. But, unfortunately, there are some who stay at these places who are druggies....at least in my area. Anyway, I would believe this is why they don't take reservations for single-night visitors. If that's the case, you're best off staying elsewhere even if you have to pay a tad more, imho.

So, good for me.
    I did not want to take a chance. I found an econolodge in Portland for around $40(AAA rate). Think I will go with it.
    We've got to leave on Sat and I still have a reservation at somewhere north of Seattle(we are heading to North Cascades the next day so!)
    Any suggestions or should I settle with a motel 6?
    I have always been happy with Motel 6. If you're a AAA member, I'd just go with whatever place they recommend in the are you think you will be staying. To be honest, I really doubt you'll have trouble finding a room north of Seattle and that you will need reservations. They are tons of motels along I-5. There are no big festivals going on right now north of Seattle that might make hotel rooms scarce. April's Tulip Festival is one of the few times that I'd be worried about finding a hotel up that way.

Have a great trip and I hope to see you on the road! :-)