Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default New Car -- No Vacation

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of buying myself a brand new car, I should have it in a few weeks. To celebrate my new expense (as if I didn't have enough school debts already:-), I was thinking of going on a weekend road trip. I'd like to stretch it as far from home as I can (~1 000 km/day).

I thought about Labrador (NF), the Gaspe Peninsula (Qc), The James Bay (Ft Rupert, Eastmain) (Qc), Ontario, Michigan, NY or northern Pensylvania. I'd love to go to the beach, but too many tourists this time of the year, I feel more like going to quiet places : small towns, mountains, secluded lakes, back roads, historical monuments, cute museums... Any suggestions besides the Adirondacks, Niagara and the 1000 islands?

I'll either camp or sleep in the car so any advice about campgrounds or very very cheap motels would be much appreciated as well!

Thanks!

Gen

Default Muskoka or Ottawa?

For lots of quiet lakes, rivers, forest, pretty rock cuts, & 'skitters... (hey, you can't have one without the other!) I recommend the Muskoka area.
    This includes but not limited to the villages/small towns of Victoria Harbour, Penetanguishene, Bracebridge, Gravenhurst, Huntsville area. Lots of places to camp however they often are fully booked before the summer season starts (especially likely with the hot weather we've been having). Great scenic boat tours offered throughout the area too.

Algonquin Park (wilderness park) is included in this area. Lots to see & do especially if you are into camping, hiking, canoeing. The "logging museum" is very interesting too.

www.muskoka-tourism.on.ca
    www.algonquinpark.on.ca

Ottawa is a great city to visit, but sounds like you want to get out of the city?

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Ontario

I recommend the Muskoka area. This includes but not limited to the villages/small towns of Victoria Harbour, Penetanguishene, Bracebridge, Gravenhurst, Huntsville area
    Thanks Syv!

I have to take out my atlas to locate these small towns!:-) I've been asking around about Algonquin Park but no one I know has been there, so it is great?

Ottawa is a great city to visit, but sounds like you want to get out of the city?
    I've been to Ottawa many times, as you said it is a great city to visit but I prefer to stay out of crowded areas, although Ottawa remains a pretty quiet place to be even if it's considered a "big city".

Gen