RandallTexCobb Guest

Default New Orleans to Atlanta?

Hello All,

Making a small road trip from Houston,TX to Alpharetta, GA. Heading to New Orleans first for a couple of days(I have driven the Houston to N.O. before) The rest of the way is all new to me. I don't have much time to sight see so I will be staying mainly on the interstates. I'm looking for the "prettiest/nicest" drive basically. What route would you suggest?

1. NO-Gulfport-Biloxi-Mobile-Montgomery-Atlanta?
    2. NO-Hattiesburg-Meridian-Tuscaloosa-Birmingham- Atlanta?

Probably gonna need accomodations for one night in either Montgomery or Birmingham Areas, which one is nicer and/or has good eats?

I am a Californian with little experience past New Orleans, your thoughts would be appreciated!

RTC

Default Us-61

Quote Originally Posted by RandallTexCobb
    ... Heading to New Orleans first for a couple of days(I have driven the Houston to N.O. before) The rest of the way is all new to me. I don't have much time to sight see so I will be staying mainly on the interstates. I'm looking for the "prettiest/nicest" drive basically. What route would you suggest?
    I know that you said you had very little time -- but the next time you have some more time -- I would suggest traveling along US-61 and staying at the Shack-up Inn near Clarksdale, Mississippi for a real "out-there" roadtrip experience.

OK, OK -- back to your question: My personal choice between these two routes would be I-65 through Montgomery and up. But I haven't stayed in town for several years and so hopefully one of our local roadtripping friends will be able to jump in here soon.

Mark

UGAphin Guest

Take I-10 to I-65 to I-85 and into Atlanta. You should love Alpharetta, but there is alot of traffic.

There are some nice golf courses in Alabama, called the Robert Trent Jones golf trail, or something like that. My favorite one is called "The Judge," its in Montgomery. However, if youre not into golf, I recommend making the drive in one day, its not too far, only about 7 hours.

Also, if you go through Birmingham, be sure to check out Talladegga International Speedway on I-20. It is enormous.

Also also, I posted something similar on an Atlanta- New York thread. Amtrak goes from New Orleans to ATL. It boards at breakfast time and reaches Atlanta in the evening. Its one of the best ways to see all of the beautiful country side in the southeast. You go over some nice rivers, through the heart of Birmingham, and through countless other small towns along the way.

Get a sleeper room, put down your bed, bring a book and some good music, and just relax. Its a great great great way to travel. And in fact, Amtrak also goes from Houston to New Orleans, so I suggest you seriously consider taking the train as an alternative to driving.

Default That is an amazing place!

Quote Originally Posted by UGAphin
    Also, if you go through Birmingham, be sure to check out Talladegga International Speedway on I-20. It is enormous.
    That is true, like many NASCAR parks they have a pretty fun tour too.

Mark

RandallTexCobb Guest

Thanks UGAphin,

No choice on the driving and the golfing will have to come later. What's your take on the route you suggested? Can you give me some idea of the looks of that area and possible points of interest?

You mentioned Birmingham, but I thought that route takes you over 100 miles south of that city by way of Montgomery?

Anyway, appreciate the ideas.

RTC

UGAphin Guest

Well you mentioned that you were contemplating either going through Montgomery or through Birmingham. The trip through Montgomery is 21 miles shorter than through Birmingham. That I know for sure.

I have never explored either city very much. It is typically a drive we have made in one day, as there really isn't much in between Atlanta and New Orleans that my family really cared to see. Its a nice part of the country, but its fairly monotonous. Lots of trees, rolling hills, some rivers, grass.. I've never been very far off of the Interstates on this route, so if there is anything to see, I wouldn't be the person to ask. But if I were in your shoes, I might consider just doing this entire drive in one day. Two days seems like overkill, unless there is something you want to see.

Though I am not an expert on Alabama or Mississippi, I am quite well informed on Georgia, especially the Atlanta area, and I know a good bit about New Orleans.

One thing you could consider is doing the Richard Petty Driving Experience at Talladegga. I've heard its incredible. Unfortunately, it would cost you a few hundred dollars, and the dates are very limited. Here is a link.

http://www.1800bepetty.com/location/...on_master.html

I'm hoping to do this at Atlanta Motor Speedway in the future. Distant future.