guinnesscub Guest

Default Road Trip from Philadelphia to Atlanta early July 2005

Hello All,
    I'm planning on taking an extended weekend trip in early July to Atlanta from Philadelphia. I want to head thru eastern Tennessee if possible. Any suggestions as to where I should stop along the way? I was going to head south on I-95 and eventually turn off west on I-85 in North Carolina and just continue west on Route 421 until I reach Boone, NC and then head further west on route 194 into Johnson City, TN then onto Route 11E west towards I-81 south then I-40 and finally I-75 into Atlanta...it will take me a little longer than a regular route but I think it might be worth it. Any ideas as to what to see while I'm driving down there?

UGAphin Guest

If you come into Georgia on US 23, stop by Tallulah Gorge state park. Its a huge valley that the road goes right over on a dam.

3. Default I'd take I-81!

I have made this trip a dozen times. I go from Philadelphia via Baltimore to Frederick, and then down 15 over to I-81 to take the mountain route home via Chattanooga. I-95 MAY be quicker depending on weather and traffic, but I-81 is much more picturesque and always has far less traffic.

I would head west from Philly to Carlisle to pick up I-81. I would stay as far away from I-95 as possible. Depending on how much time you have available, there is a lot to see and do along that general route.

Guys, this thread is from 2005, so its pretty safe to say that this trip has long since been completed!