maggiesmail Guest

Default Phoenix - Grand Canyon-Vegas

My son is graduating from UPhoenix on July 29. We would like to drive from there to Vegas (we have a free 2-nights there) and would like to visit the Grand Canyon (overnight?) before going on to Vegas. Any suggestions, ideas, would be very appreciated!!. I know it's going to be very hot -too hot?? Thanks so much!!!
    Maggie

Default Not When Compared to Phoenix!

My son is graduating from UPhoenix on July 29.
    Congratulations on that achievement for all of you!
    We would like to drive from there to Vegas (we have a free 2-nights there) and would like to visit the Grand Canyon (overnight?) before going on to Vegas. Any suggestions, ideas, would be very appreciated!!. I know it's going to be very hot -too hot??
    Not compared to the temps in Phoenix! The temps at the south Rim in late July are usually in the middle to high 90's (F), but it is a "dry" heat as opposed to the wetter heat of metro Phoenix. There are many, many suggestions on this board for loging choices at the south rim. Use the search link (in the green navigation bar) and look for grand canyon lodging.

If you don't need to be in Las Vegas before late afternoon the next day, you might consider this route: After you leave the South Rim head east on US-64 (be sure to stop at the Desert View overlook) and then head north on US-89 and cross the Colorado River at Marble Canyon and drive along the front of the Vermilion Cliffs (very scenic) and then over to Fredonia and if you have time you can go north and drive through Zion NP before rejoining I-15 at St. George before heading south towards Las Vegas. Lots to see and do here in Las Vegas!

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-29-2005 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Added content

maggiesmail Guest

Default Phoenix-Grand Canyon-Vegas

Thank you, Mark, what a nice trip!!! Could you estimate the time it would take from the South Rim to Vegas using these routes? and WOW..I've heard Zion is beautiful!!!!! That might be another overnight???!!!! I'll see if everyone is willing... (I am)
    The other route: going from TGC back to Rte 40 West to Vegas would be faster but not as scenic, correct??

Default Kanab -- Hot Tub

Thank you, Mark, what a nice trip!!! Could you estimate the time it would take from the South Rim to Vegas using these routes?
    If you drove straight through without stopping too many times for snacks, oohing an awing, it would take all day (9 hours or so). If you could plan an extra over-night, I would suggest also driving up to Page, visit the dam museum and then plan on an overnight at Kanab, UT. There is an Holiday Inn Express that we usually stay at -- rooms are pretty standard -- but they have a great outside hot tub and a nice place to pause overnight. Also some cute coffee places in town. And then you could take 5-6 hours to explore Zion a bit more before you head to Las Vegas.
    The other route: going from TGC back to Rte 40 West to Vegas would be faster but not as scenic, correct??
    You don't really have to use I-40 (it is a nice route too) but you could follow US-64 south to Williams, drive about 25 miles on I-40 and then join old Route 66 at mile marker 139 and head up to Seligman, Peach Springs, and over to Kingman. Gus's site is really great for seeing what there is to see along this section of the famous Route 66. From there you could either head north on US-93 (check out the amazing desert planting along the way) and cross the Hoover Dam into Las Vegas. Or alternatively, if you really want an incredible view and Route 66 experience -- stay on US-66 and cross over Sitgreaves Pass -- feed the burros in Oatman and then pick up AZ-95 up to Laughlin, cross the river and head west on NV-163 (if you have time -- and its not too hot -- check out the Petroglyphs ) and then head north on US-95 to Las Vegas.

Lots of choices!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-29-2005 at 10:47 AM. Reason: darn typos $%^%$#@$$

maggiesmail Guest

Default Phoenix-Grand Canyon-Vegas

WOW....alot of good choices to think about..Thanks so much Mark - I'm going to start planning now..and checking out the places to stay link here..