paulakagiggs Guest

Default Vegas to San Fran. in 2 days

After a week in Las Vegas I am planning to drive form Vegas to
    San Franscisco with the idea of going through yoseimite national park and staying somewhere around the park in early June.
    I have 2 days to do this with one night stopover, ideas needed on best route
    and can i comfortably make it, also somewhere nice to stay in the national park. One more thing "how hot will it be in early june".

Default Tioga Pass is still not open

After a week in Las Vegas I am planning to drive form Vegas to
    San Franscisco with the idea of going through yoseimite national park and staying somewhere around the park in early June.
    As of the field report posted a couple of hours ago -- the crews are nearing Crane Flat, but there are days and days of work to go before Tioga Pass can be opened to the public. Sonora Pass is still closed as well.*** What this means is that you will either have to go around the mountains to the south or go up to Lake Tahoe to reach the western slope and back to Yosemite.
    I have 2 days to do this with one night stopover, ideas needed on best route and can i comfortably make it, also somewhere nice to stay in the national park. One more thing "how hot will it be in early june".
    First, it has been reasonably cool in Death Valley this May, temperatures today only reached 110 degrees F. So you might enjoy driving through Death Valley on the way to US-395. At this point you can either go north or south. The faster route would be south, west on CA-58 and then north on CA-99. The California Gold Trail is a scenic route and you could stay in Coarsegold, Oakhurst or Mariposa and still have time to drive into Yosemite Valley for a few hours, before you turn west again and beeline to San Francisco.

*** Bogart's field report posted on the 28th of May indicates that both Sonora and Monitor Pass are open.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-28-2005 at 01:55 PM. Reason: New Information!