TheSquabbish Guest

Default Where are the best Redwoods?

We'll be driving through California from about Sacramento and north to Seattle in a couple of weeks, and I wonder where the most beautiful Redwood forests are to be found? I've heard that they can be found in both California and Oregon, but I'm looking for the ultimate Redwood experience, hehe.

Thanks a million for any help!

2. Default

Some of the best redwood parks are the Muir Woods, just north of San Francisco, and Armstrong Redwoods State Reserve (also north of San Francisco on the Russian River). The Humboldt Redwoods State Park up by Eureka is also magnificent. I've been to Muir and Humboldt, but not to Armstrong -- I recommend that one based on hearsay. Bob

Although Muir Woods does have some great specimens, I found it to be a bit too touristy for my liking when it comes to being in the woods. I had a great experience driving through Redwood National Forest, specifically Del Norte Coast Redwoods Park and Jedidiah Smith Redwoods State Park, near Crescent City, CA and the Oregon border. US-199 runs right through the forest there and at several points along the route, the speed limit drops to 15 MPH and snakes around gigantic redwoods that are scarred from motor vehicles passing too close.

Take US-101 north through the areas that Bob suggested and keep on going up to the areas I mentioned. You will not be disappointed.

4. Default

Oh man, I don't remember it being touristy at all -- I guess it has been a few years though! I've driven that highway (US199) up beyond Crescent City though, into Oregon and over to Grant's Pass. That's a great road!

The trees in the Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park are awesome. To give you an idea of what they are like, they are where the forest chase scenes in the 'Return of the Jedi' film on the moon of Endor were filmed.

Some pictures of the area can be seen on
    http://www.uk-2-usa.com/California/redwood.html

UK

TheSquabbish Guest

You guys have been of great help, thanks again!