Thread: Endless Summer?

egad666 Guest

Default Endless Summer?

My brother and I decided to buy a MarkIII conversion van and travel around the states. I'm going primarily to make photographs and write a travelogue with the distant hope that I may get it published some day. I don't have a set amount of time to accomplish this. I would like the trip to last as long as possible.

I'm wondering if anyone had any ideas about making money on the road. I will be shooting digital with all the necessary equipment to post-process and print from the road and my current idea is to sell prints or offer portraits and other commissioned work. Do you think this is a viable option to extend my time travelling? Maybe just enough to pay for fuel?

I am willing and determined to make this happen. Any suggestions on my idea or any others available would be a blessing at this point. I'm not adverse to the idea of staying put for weeks at a time to work in local businesses, day labor, etc. Thanks for reading.

-Steevo

Default Whatever works

Quote Originally Posted by egad666
    I'm wondering if anyone had any ideas about making money on the road. I will be shooting digital with all the necessary equipment to post-process and print from the road and my current idea is to sell prints or offer portraits and other commissioned work. Do you think this is a viable option to extend my time travelling? Maybe just enough to pay for fuel?
    Steevo, As you might have guessed, this is a popular quest -- finding a way to travel and... get paid to do it. There are lots of ways, all of which resemble work, which can get in the way of roadtripping. Generally, it works better to accumulate as much cash as you can and go until you run out and return home. That being said, it would seem to be a long-shot to earn sufficient $$ on your photography alone -- most of the best photographers in the world still find it difficult to achieve this holy grail.

We maintain a couple of pages of ideas for making money on a roll. Although some seem to apply to RVers, the reality is that the concepts work for anyone. Check out this page and this page. One of the regular contributors this this site, Jaimie Hall has written a book on this subject, that again contains some useful tips.

My wife and partner managed to do it (live and work on the road) for 6.5 years -- but we also acquired a chunk of debt along the way. It really comes down to just how much risk you are willing to assume. Bottom line: Sure, it is always possible, but it is never easy...

Mark

egad666 Guest

Default Thanks Ed.

I appreciate the advice. I plan on camping and sleeping in the van. The only real expense that I have to cover is gas. I've been homeless, so I'm not too worried about making ends meet for the necessities. I just want to go out and see what's there. I've already got quite a bit taken care of, such as an annual Nat'l Park Pass, insurance for the van, AAA, camping supplies, GPS, broke van fund, and about 2 grand to cover gas and food. Not to mention my bro has 5 grand already saved up. What are your thoughts on possible travel time based on the above, given that we will spend approx. $5 a day, per person on food?

Default $5 per day?

What are your thoughts on possible travel time based on the above, given that we will spend approx. $5 a day, per person on food?
    Only $5 per person per day day on food? That seems mighty frugal. Got to remember to eat enough protein to keep your brains sharp if you are driving! By far, the greatest expense per day will be your fuel costs. I would use the fuel calculator to get a sense of how much it will cost you for a week period. But, off the top of my head -- I would say that you can probably stay out there for 2-3 months. Maybe longer...

Default food / camping

We've done the $5 per day on food trips. But that's starting out with snack food from home & drinking boxes or cans enough to last the entire trip...lukewarm drinks - yumm (gag). Then just buy from grocery stores deli meat, fresh fruit or veggies, milk, or a burger a day. You'll need to plan on the occasional $10 - $20 food days to "splurge" and eat well.

There will be places you won't find free camping / places to park overnight. If staying inside a national park overnight, camping costs are separate & additional to the park entry fee pass. You are not allowed to park & stop anywhere inside the national parks except in a paid campground space.

Cost of showers $2 bucks usually will get by. Some places it's more.

The $2 grand and $5 grand will be fine though. Just bring a good credit card in case of medical or vehicle emergencies. & HAVE FUN!!!

egad666 Guest

Default You folks are great.

I really appreciate the feedback. I'm basing my food budget on what I spend here at home and we're planning on doing some serious boondocking. My brother and I are the find your own way kind of guys and I anticipate quite a few long stretches of time in one place to get a feel of our surroundings. Both of us have seen much worse days than having a dry place to sleep and a can of beans. Like I said before, I don't mind being stranded a few months in and having to work for a month or two to get back on the road. I feel that things like that are a part of the adventure. I spent 2 months in the Bahamas traveling on mailboats, catching my dinner on sugarcane poles, and sleeping on a hammock. The only real money I spent was on bottles of rum.