ssssbbbb Guest

Default Seattle to Las Vegas

Hi I am from India, we are planning to execute a road trip from Seattle to Las Vegas predominantly sticking on to I84 and I15. I would request you folks to comment on the route and things that we should be knowing/carrying in particular. About my road trip experience; I am relatively new to road trips, travelling with 3 others who would also take turns at steering wheel. Haven't done a road trip of this proportion before, my longest was on I5 from SJ to LA.

thanks,
    Vaithee.

Default Interstate 84?

Hi I am from India, we are planning to execute a road trip from Seattle to Las Vegas predominantly sticking on to I84 and I15. I would request you folks to comment on the route
    I like the notion of executing a road trip! Why are you swinging so far east to reach Las Vegas? The most direct and fastest route would be Interstate 5 to CA-58 to I-15. I-84 is a pretty road, but I am still wondering why you chose that route?

Default Interesting Choice

Just out of curiosity, I plugged Seattle to Las Vegas into MapQuest and the basic I-84, I-15 route is what they suggested! Probably has something to do with the way the automatic routing software tends to prefer Interstates at almost any cost. This route does have the advantage of letting you see southern Idaho and central Utah. So, if you're going to return to Seattle, it's probably worthwhile using one routing southbound and the other northbound.

As to what you need to know/carry, you'll have to define 'need'. You can start out with not much more than a song in your heart (and a credit card in your pocket) and with any luck at all you'll know a lot more when you're done than when you started.

AZBuck

ssssbbbb Guest

Firstly, thanks for all your suggestions. I did consider the Seattle->Bakersfield->lasvegas route but, the estimated time(20 hrs) was more than I84->I15 (18hrs 45mns). I am looked up both google maps and mapquest. I am also little apprehensive about CA58's road condition and speed limits. We are planning to start on thusday evening and get back by monday night. If time permits also hit grand canyon. The suggestion for taking two different routes makes sense but I am just wondering if we will have time to make those un-planned stops. I think we will try to do the I84/I15 while going and try the I15-C58-I5 while coming back, that way "if we have time" we can also hit Crater Lake (I know thats wish full thinking) but, yeah is we don't mess up or get lost :-)

Particularly, do you folks know about CA58 road condition/speed limits/gas stations enroute ?

Also, how frequently can we expect to see gas stations on I84/I15 ?

thanks,
    Vaithee.

Default I'll wager a tank of fuel

Firstly, thanks for all your suggestions. I did consider the Seattle->Bakersfield->lasvegas route but, the estimated time(20 hrs) was more than I84->I15 (18hrs 45mns).
    I would wager a tank of fuel to the first person who can drive from Seattle to Las Vegas in less than 20 hours (by any route -- except a plane). I have driven both routes -- many, many times. I-5 is still faster, even if it is a little bit longer.
    ...I am also little apprehensive about CA58's road condition and speed limits.
    It is mostly four lane, good pavement, 65 mph speed limit.
    Also, how frequently can we expect to see gas stations on I84/I15 ?
    It is hard to go more than 50 miles on any section of the route and not find gas stations.

ssssbbbb Guest

OK, sounds like either way it's going to be 20 hours, and I pressume the CA route is more scenic than the UTAH route.
    Just one more question ! what about the traffic on I5 ? how bad is it in CA ?

Default Scenery? Utah is the ticket!

OK, sounds like either way it's going to be 20 hours,
    if you drive "pedal to the medal" and stop only for fuel -- it will still require about 25 hours.
    and I pressume the CA route is more scenic than the UTAH route.
    Scenery? I would suggest the I-84 to I-15 route has better scenery!
    Just one more question ! what about the traffic on I5 ? how bad is it in CA ?
    Most of the time, the traffic on I-5 in northern and central California rolls along at ~90 mph. There are some key sections (well-marked with signage) where you had better slow to 70 mph or your average speed will drop substantially -- the CHP writes hundreds of speeding tickets each month in those sections.

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Another, but possibly longer route, consists of getting off of I 84 at Biggs, Oregon and heading south on US 97. This highway skirts the backside of the Cascades through Bend, Oregon, and near Crater Lake National Park, continuing south to Klamath Falls. Then you could take Oregon39 to CA139 to CA 299 at Alturas, where it joins US 395. US 395 takes you along the backside of the Sierra Nevadas as far south as you are willing to go. Personally, I would jump off US395 at Lone Pine, CA and get on CA 136 East to where it meets CA 190, take that though Death Valley National Park, and continuing East into Pahrump, Nevada (Art Bell from Coast to Coast AM lives and broadcasts from this town, so this is why I would travel Death Valley... to go through his hometown). From there NV160 goes right into Vegas.
    Thats just my suggestion.