Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default best place to go in winter

Hi,
    I stay in bay area, CA. Christmas vacations usually comes with a shut down in my husband's office. 10 days in all thru New year. But last yr it was raining like crazy. Our trip to LA/San Diego had to cancel due to land slides there and we ended up doing 1 day trips around here.
    But is there any offbeat places to go in winter, where winter rains do not affect that much.
    Am I asking for too much ?

Default Eastern Oregon Outback

Hi, I stay in bay area, CA. Christmas vacations usually comes with a shut down in my husband's office. 10 days in all thru New year. But last yr it was raining like crazy. Our trip to LA/San Diego had to cancel due to land slides there and we ended up doing 1 day trips around here.
    But is there any offbeat places to go in winter, where winter rains do not affect that much.
    Summer Lake Hot Springs and stay in a vintage airstream trailer would be my vote!

We have assembled some other ideas here.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-19-2005 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Add a link

3. Default Anza-Borrego or San Antonio

If you go to Death Valley, you might also make it a "themed" trip and see the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park down by El Centro too.

Or, I love San Antonio at Christmas-time! It's not THAT far!

Default where?

Where is San Antonio?
    I wanted to camp in death Valley. Won't it be too cold then?

5. Default

Nights will get cold, yes. But it's tolerable. I should probably add that I REALLY like cold weather...

I meant San Antonio, Texas. It's a GREAT winter destination.

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Bob, I cannot believe you forgot about the city that is a oven in the summer, and what is the equivilent to spring for the rest of the country in Winter?!?! Phoenix, AZ is also a pretty nice place to visit.... but personally, I like snow... So I am traveling to Wenatchee, Washington this winter (and I hope they get some snow this year. Last winter was minimal).

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator Bob
    Nights will get cold, yes. But it's tolerable. I should probably add that I REALLY like cold weather...
    Bob,
    I am pretty much fine with cold, but how cold? I mean, its a kinda god forsaken place, ain't it? If we ever need help of any sort? Also, a 4wd would do there, right? Guess, we cannot see much with a 2wd...

Default Are we talking about Death Valley?

I mean, its a kinda god forsaken place, ain't it? If we ever need help of any sort? Also, a 4wd would do there, right? Guess, we cannot see much with a 2wd...
    Death Valley blooms every winter and spring. This year was a little extra special, but take a look at these images -- does this really look like a forsaken place to you?
    Plus, although 4-WD can be helpful, 99% of the thousands of visitors who come every winter use only 2-wheel drive vehicles.

Mark

9. Default Dec/Jan temps

The park service reports that the overnight lows in Death Valley National Park are about (average) 38 or 39 degrees F in December and January, the two coldest months. That's pretty chilly, but manageable, as long as you plan for it. Bob

I did not know that Death Valley blooms in winter. I've been wanting to go to Death Valley the day I came to know of it. By God forsaken, I really meant, less access to gas, food, etc, not life in the park. Sorry for not making myself clear.

Bob,
    I think that kinda clarifies. Think I can make it this winter.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-22-2005 at 07:56 PM.