Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breakneck speed

1. Default Breakneck speed

We have a big family do in Montana this summer and are flying in to LA. We would like to drive up from LA but I would like to know whether you think it is sheer craziness to try and drive that distance in three days (considering I will be the only driver) and whether we should consider finding an internal flight closer in.
    I am also a bit worried about driving across the desert as us Europeans are not very used to big open spaces, or deserts, and I would like to know what your advice is on this (what we should take- when we should drive it). We hope to take things a bit easier on our way down as I basically want it to be an unforgettable time and not a massive mistake! Thanks for your help and advice.

Default Not a problem -- Just an Adventure!

We have a big family do in Montana this summer and are flying in to LA. We would like to drive up from LA but I would like to know whether you think it is sheer craziness to try and drive that distance in three days (considering I will be the only driver) and whether we should consider finding an internal flight closer in.
    Three days is almost a leisurely pace as long as you don't stop and wander too much enroute.

I am also a bit worried about driving across the desert as us Europeans are not very used to big open spaces, or deserts, and I would like to know what your advice is on this
    Depending upon the route -- there isn't that much desert between LA and Montana. I am doing a similar route in about a month.

Mark

3. Default Thanks

Thanks Marc, after booking flights I have been having nightmares about only having done half of the route on the big day! We are planning going through Vegas-Salt Lake City and trying not to wander on the way there. We will wander on the way back! So no desert... I am nearly disapointed! I really want this trip to be fun and to remember it as a big adventure.

Default Not "no desert" on that route

I have been having nightmares about only having done half of the route on the big day!
    The big day? Is this a wedding in Montana?

We are planning going through Vegas-Salt Lake City and trying not to wander on the way there. We will wander on the way back! So no desert... I am nearly disapointed! I really want this trip to be fun and to remember it as a big adventure.
    You will certainly see desert on that route -- how much time will you have for the "wander" portion? It would be VERY EASY to take a month to make the drive from Montana to Los Angeles and still miss most of what there is to see.

Mark

5. Default wedding bells

It is very easy to spend a month anywhere.. unfortunately we will have to make do with two weeks... The big day is a wedding so we want to try and make the most of it and see bits that we might not have another chance to see.. thanx for the advice.

Default Route Ideas

It is very easy to spend a month anywhere..
    Yep. That I would grant!
    unfortunately we will have to make do with two weeks... The big day is a wedding so we want to try and make the most of it and see bits that we might not have another chance to see..
    OK. First night I would stay in St. George, Utah. Drive through Zion National Park the next morning and head north on US-Hwy 89. Hwy 89 has great views and moves nearly as quickly as I-15. (It is slower because of the cities and towns, but you will be OK timewise). Night #2 could be near Salt Lake City. The tour at Temple Square is worth seeing no matter what you might think of the the Mormon faith. From here, I don't know where in Montana you are headed, but I would probably suggest you push up I-15 to I-90 to your final destination. You may need to drop Temple Square and push on towards Pocatello, Idaho to make that third day more relaxing.

Return trip: Let us know where the wedding is and we can share tips for the route back to LA.

Mark

7. Default Back from Montana

For the return route we are going to try and see as much as we can as we don't think we will have many more chances to see this side of the world (births? christenings? graduations of nieces and nephews?) so we are thinking of heading back down to LA through San Francisco. We haven't got weeks and weeks, only a week! What would you recommend? I was thinking of doing Montana-Salt Lake City- SFO but is going through Seattle shorter? The wedding is somewhere near Flathead Lake...

I realise we will miss a lot of fantastic places rushing around the country like this, but budget and time don't really allow us to see more... Once again thanks for all your help, it has been very useful and I am starting to enjoy the prospect of driving around the US, instead of worrying about time / getting lost in te desert...

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by recordtime
    For the return route we are going to try and see as much as we can as we don't think we will have many more chances to see this side of the world (births? christenings? graduations of nieces and nephews?) so we are thinking of heading back down to LA through San Francisco. We haven't got weeks and weeks, only a week! What would you recommend? I was thinking of doing Montana-Salt Lake City- SFO but is going through Seattle shorter? The wedding is somewhere near Flathead Lake...

I realise we will miss a lot of fantastic places rushing around the country like this, but budget and time don't really allow us to see more... Once again thanks for all your help, it has been very useful and I am starting to enjoy the prospect of driving around the US, instead of worrying about time / getting lost in te desert...

Flathead lake. It's funny that you never hear of a place in you life and then you seem to see/hear about it everywhere. I got a job near this lake this summer. I am driving from NC and I plan to get lost a couple times!!

Have a great trip. Road Trips are always fun

Default Getting Lost -- Would be a good thing

... so we are thinking of heading back down to LA through San Francisco. We haven't got weeks and weeks, only a week! What would you recommend? I was thinking of doing Montana-Salt Lake City- SFO but is going through Seattle shorter? The wedding is somewhere near Flathead Lake...
    instead of worrying about time / getting lost in te desert...
    With the web of Interstate, Federal and State highways along your route, getting Lost in the desert would take an effort! The area around Flathead lake is really nice. You will be so close to Glacier National Park...Maybe you should kick back a while there?

Your stated return route would be fine -- plenty of cool things to stop and see, but since you asked... I would drop down to I-90 and stop for a coffee or two at Coeur d'Alene, Idaho (gorgeous lake) and then cut through Spokane and pick up US-395 and drive through the Columbia Gorge (either on I-84 on the southern side -- or my choice -- Oregon Route 14) or a combination of the two to Portland. If you like great bread... my cousins own The Grand Central Baking Companyin Portland... but I digress...

From Portland, I would zoom over the coast and follow US-101 down to Reedsport (awesome kite flying in this area) and then tack back eastward to I-5 and go south to Grants Pass. If you have time -- take the day and go to Crater Lake National Park. -- Lots of amazing mountain vistas here.

If time is short, consider taking US-199 from Grants Pass to US-101 at Cresent City, California. -- Take a walk in Redwood National Park -- and then if you have time and like coastal drives you can meander down California Route 1 (here is a great guidebook ) or you can use the faster route US-101 to San Francisco.

Spend a day in and around the Bay area and then either go back to the coast via California 1 or you could zig-zag your way south to LA. Lots of posts on this board about routes between San Francisco and LA.

Mark

Default San Francisco to LA

I took this trip last year. If you want to see Alcatraz I suggest booking a tour at least 2-3 weeks in advance and this is the only town other than Vegas that I've booked a room for in advance.

We spent an entire day walking around the city. We had a hotel about 6 blocks from Fisherman's Wharf (where you'll also catch the ride to Alcatraz) and managed to walk to Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown, and Nob Hill. It was a blast.

We took Highway 1 down the coast to LA. You will drive right by Hearst Castle on that route. We were pressed for time and couldn't stop for the tour, but it is on the list of things to do.

We took our trip less than a month after Reagan died, so we took the opportunity to stop at the Reagan Library which was worth it for the scenery alone.

Have Fun!