Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cheap hotels in the West?

Hi,
    Could anyone throw some light on some coupons for cheap hotel stay around CA, OR, WZ, NV, UT, AZ?

2. Default Visitor Welcome Centers

One place to find them is to stop at the Visitor Centers along the interstate highways -- they'll usually have lots of coupons to choose from, as well as information on things to see and do, and sometimes a great free map (my favorite). Bob

In the southwest outside of major cities I found Motel 6's to be very reasonable, some as low as $29.99/night during the week.

I tented most of the time in the Southwest, but every few days I'd hit an M6 for a shower and AC...

Bob,
    I stay in CA and when I travel closeby, I would want to travel cheap and stay in a place more close to nature-some rustic cabin, or something. Mostly we book hotels online. I really have not come across many visitor centres in CA. Are they only along state borders?

Nicholas,
    thanks. Ya, motel6 is one place i end up staying most. YMCA, hostels, log cabins., etc seem more to comfi me, though.

thanks for the reply.
    Last edited by cool; 05-13-2005 at 11:02 AM.

Default Off-line booking

Mostly we book hotels online.
    One of the joys of roadtripping is to find those places that NEVER have online booking. Stretch alittle -- I guarantee you will not miss anything. You might even plan a whole trip with no advance reservations.
    I really have not come across many visitor centres in CA. Are they only along state borders?
    California operates eleven of these Welcome Centers and only a handful are at the borders.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-13-2005 at 12:05 PM. Reason: links oops by Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Editor
    One of the joys of roadtripping is to find those places that NEVER have online booking. Stretch alittle -- I guarantee you will not miss anything. You might even plan a whole trip with no advance reservations.
    Mark
    Thanks, Mark.
    we have mostly visited tourist places which makes reservations necessary, due to the possibility of unavailability. We plan to take a roadtrip soon and I think I will go ahead with you.
    I always thought that online reservations were cheaper. Am I wrong?

cool

Default No negotiation is possible "online"

we have mostly visited tourist places which makes reservations necessary, due to the possibility of unavailability. We plan to take a roadtrip soon and I think I will go ahead with you. I always thought that online reservations were cheaper. Am I wrong?
    Online reservations make it easier and sometimes you can find less expensive rates that way, but... every hotel/motel/inn/ room is ALWAYS open to negotiation and if you pre-book online you are ceeding that choice to the operators. If you find a motel that is underbooked, there is always a way --should you choose to accept the challenge -- of getting it far less than the "stated rate".

Default They are all over the place!

On our last cross country trip (42 days) we made reservations in only 2 places, Missoula, MT for our daughter's graduation & Mariposa, CA because we went to Yosemite on Memorial Day Weekend. Never had a problem finding a room anywhere, and some of the small out of the way places were the best. Check out the Clown Motel in Tonopah, NV. $29.95 & fresh roses in the room!

Our Cross Country Trip

Vermilye,
    42 days? wow.
    Should have been a lot of fun.

Default Reservations -- to make or not to make

I have to say, I cave in and make reservations if I know I'll be somewhere on a big holiday weekend or during a well-attended event. Also, if you travel with a pet, it's nice to know about hotels that allow animals. Even so, one of my favorite things about roadtripping is moseying along and not knowing where I'll end up at night. If worst comes to worst and I have to doze in my car -- well, that's why I always take my own pillow...