andi224 Guest

Default Seattle to San Francisco

Hello there - I am travelling by car with my boyfriend between Seattle and San Francisco July 5-7 (3 days). If we travel about 6 hours or so a day along the coast, is 3 days long enough?

I would like suggestions for places to stay for the first and second night if we do drive about 6 hours a day. Do you know the best towns to stop in for overnight accommodations?

I would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks in advance for your help!

Default Six hours driving?

Hello there - I am travelling by car with my boyfriend between Seattle and San Francisco July 5-7 (3 days). If we travel about 6 hours or so a day along the coast, is 3 days long enough?
    Six hours per day is a very reasonable period of driving -- but not necessarily travel time. The coast route through these three states provides amples of opportunities for getting out and wandering, exploring little shops and enjoying yourself. If you are like me, (I like to stop and take photos and talk to folks + I like to sleep in on holidays) so you should expect to average no more than about 48 mph over an eight hour day on the coast drive. If you could stretch the trip out to four (or even five) days you will find the pace much more relaxing. I am not positive you can even cover that distance in three days -- No problem if you were to use I-5 for some sections...

I would like suggestions for places to stay for the first and second night if we do drive about 6 hours a day. Do you know the best towns to stop in for overnight accommodations?
    I really like Astoria and Tillamook (don't forget the cheese). And for the second night -- if you have sufficient $$ for a really great splurge -- The Stanford Inn remains my all-time favorite inn on the coast -- I will be going there myself this October.

I would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks in advance for your help!
    The Oregon State Park system is one of the best in the land. They are all beautiful. Lighthouses, astounding views and gorgeous flowers can be found in most of the coastal ones. And, of course, you will be driving through several redwood forests -- I actually like the ones north of Eureka -- around Trinidad. Yep, you need to add some days if you can!

When you get to Pt. Reyes National Seashore -- go out to the point -- this is some of the most outrageous shore currents in the world -- the waves generated by the outgoing rip tides are often 2-3 times steeper than in the incoming swells. Awesome to see -- (DON'T GO SWIMMING HERE).

Mark