dreamsncharms Guest

Default NJ to TX......with a child and 2 cats ;-)

Hi!!
    I'm soo glad that I found this website. ;-) I'm going to be driving from Morris County, NJ to North Richland Hills TX (which is I think Tarrant County)
    We wanted to leave on July 1st.. since were moving and that is with my 60 apt notice given to the landlord, but.. I am thinking it would be a good idea to leave before them because of holiday traffic. ;-(
    I will have as passengers, my 8 year old daughter and our cats. Should be interesting as I have never driven more than 700 miles.. (CA to OR) and that was like 12 years ago and I was sooo tired!!
    I'm taking us in my Explorer (no Ford jokes please hehe) so it should be plenty comfy.... I'm assuming.
    My daughter and I won't totally be alone because my fiance is going too, but he is driving his own truck. Were going to follow.
    It will be around 1600 miles. I don't want to push too hard with driving so much a day since I'm not used to it, and I know there is going to be alot of "I have to pee mommy!!" side trips. LOL!!
    I will have a set of directions ofcourse in case which is very likely that I get off track from following my fiance.. God.. I would panic LOL I'm terrible at reading maps and directions. ;-(

So I guess I have some questions.. any advice or is there another forum about traveling with children and or pets?
    I've no idea how I am going to keep little one entertained.. portable dvd player and a gameboy will bore her in a few hours.. crayons ect.. any fun road games that anyone knows?

Also. as far as the cats.. I have 2 carriers for them but since they will want to cuddle together. and will have to use the potty.. I was thinking of getting a large cage so i can make a make shift litter box and they can have food and water.. that hopefully won't spill. (makes for more side trips to empty the kitty cat potty. yucky!!) The cats have never traveled too far in the car and when they did.. they were not pleased.. lots of meowing. LOL

Why can't I fly? ect.. well.. We have a very limited budget to move and 2 cars that need to come with us.

Also any easy routes or suggestions? I have heard this is a 3 day trup usually.. but I am thinking it mayb be a 5 day trip for us. maybe 6 lol!!

Thanks,
    Dreamsncharms

BoredTXGirl Guest

Default Don't cry!

I don't know much about travelling with cats, but I have taken many trips with children. Try www.momsminivan.com as a resource for advice, activities, etc. Check out the section on car sickness - trust me it can come in handy even if you don't expect an issue...

The best thing to plan on when there's a child with you on a long trip is making plenty of short stops. Get her a disposable camera and make it her job to photograph the group every time you cross a state line, or stop for gas, or whatever. Stop every couple of hours and make everyone get out and walk around for a minute - release of pent-up energy can be as beneficial as the best video game on a long trip. Make it her job to decide where to have lunch on the road, and to watch the signs to find the place (you NEED her 'directions' or you won't be able to find it!). Even had luck one trip with a young man whose job it was to watch out for the endangered blue-spotted snipe - we do have to alert the highway patrol if we see one, after all... While it's hard to keep a small person completely occupied for the entire length of a trip, it is possible to make the experience fun and educational.

If you want some help on things to see or do which require stopping... let me know.

Default Lots of resources on this site

So I guess I have some questions.. any advice or is there another forum about traveling with children and or pets?
    I've no idea how I am going to keep little one entertained.. portable dvd player and a gameboy will bore her in a few hours.. crayons ect.. any fun road games that anyone knows?
    This website is chock full of ideas for planning family roadtrips. But whining is not the best way to seek ideas from the roadtrippers who frequent this board.

First I would suggest looking at the web resources we have provided on the Family roadtrip page. Next, I would read Chris Epting's article about the Art of the Family RoadTrip. Next, I would use the search utility on this forum and enter the names of the places your planned route will take you for comments from this very knowledgeable road tripping community.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-30-2005 at 02:49 PM. Reason: typo

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Meow

Also. as far as the cats.. I have 2 carriers for them but since they will want to cuddle together. and will have to use the potty.. I was thinking of getting a large cage so i can make a make shift litter box and they can have food and water.. that hopefully won't spill. (makes for more side trips to empty the kitty cat potty. yucky!!) The cats have never traveled too far in the car and when they did.. they were not pleased.. lots of meowing. LOL
    First, let them get used to the car by taking them for short rides in the neighborhood. You'll see how they react. Some cats are quiet and seem totally numb and others freak out and are sick. If they're only meowing a lot in the beginning, it's okay, don't worry. You could buy some kind of tranquilizers at the vet, but personally, I don't recommend it. The only time I "drugged" a cat, I was the one freaking out because it was like if he was in a coma or something! Usually, after an hour in the car meowing, they should calm down!

A bigger cage is a great idea if you don't want to let them run around freely in the car. Some cats are not very annoying though and can behave pretty well without being in a cage but you got to be careful about not letting them get under your seat and then under the brake pedal! I recommend you buy one of those huge litter pans with a little roof (about 20$), the pan is deeper which allows you to put more litter in it. It is less likely to spill because it is heavier and it retains odors more than a traditionnal pan. It also has a handle and is more easy to carry. I always put a waterproof blanket under the pan while in the car, just in case. Make sure your cats get lots of affection, fresh air and treats!

Don't forget to ask for pet friendly motel rooms. As soon as you get your cats in the motel room, show them where the litter pan is and give them fresh water and food in the same bowls they have at home. Instead of bringing rigid plastic pet carriers, you should consider buying a Sherpa bag (about 70$ each). They have a model that tranforms into a backpack and a handbag with lots of pockets (for bags, leash, small shovel, vaccination booklet), very practical and compact. Make sure your pets are identification on them!

Gen and Victor ^.-.^

http//roadsister.photosite.com/victortheroadcat
    Attached Images Attached Images

dreamsncharms Guest

thanks for your great advice. ;-) i'm going to look at all of those websites. xxx
    dreams