Kendall Guest

Default Renting a car at 18?

Me and 3 friends are planning a road trip from Florida to California in august-september this year (we have about 20 days in which to do it) and we are probably going to buy a car over there as one of the people has a house in florida. But, i am wondering if it would be more sensible to rent - i have heard contradictory information about whether it is possible to rent at 18 in america. I have commonly heard that you have to be 21 but i heard of somebody who was able to rent from rent-a-wreck at 18, do you know anything more about this?
    Also anything else you feel would be helpful to mention would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Kendall

Kendal,

Most of the major car hire companies will not rent to under 21 year olds and they will charge a premium for under 25 year olds.

You also need to look into drop off charges. You will normally have to pay very heavily for picking up a hire car in one place and dropping off in a distant other.

See http://www.uk-2-usa.com/absolutebeginners/cars.html for some 'beginners' car hire tips.

UK

UAR Guest

Default USA Car Hire Policies

Kendall, UK is correct. MOST US car hire companies will NOT even consider renting a car to someone under 25 years of age. Those that DO hire-out cars to those under 25 generally charge a VERY steep fee in addition to the regular fees. If youre hiring the car one-way (that is youre not returning it to the same location you hired it from) there will almost always be yet another fee. IF you canm and do, hire a car, also keep in mind additional fees such as mileage (ask for 'unlimited mileage', otherwise youll be charged for each mile). Finally, insurance is ALWAYS a good idea.

Best of luck, and have a blast!
    CHEERS!
    Peter