Papa Goob Guest

Default California Coast?

Hey folks-

I just stumbled across this forum, please bear with me.

A friend and I have decided to do a roadtrip this July from San Francisco to San Diego, setting aside ten days for the trip. What we're interested in exploring is the 'mythology' of California. As native east-coasters, we imagine California as being relaxed, beautiful, eccentric-yet-idyllic. Our image of California is created by the movies and television shows.. and it seems to us like a great place to be.

So for those that have lived there or roadtripped down the coast, what would you recommend seeing or doing? What experiences typify 'California' for you? What should we not miss checking out? Where's the best place to people-watch? Etc etc.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance all!

-PG

2. Default California and People Watching

What we're interested in exploring is the 'mythology' of California. As native east-coasters, we imagine California as being relaxed, beautiful, eccentric-yet-idyllic. Our image of California is created by the movies and television shows.. and it seems to us like a great place to be
    Well, that's a myth, alright! You'll find the reality to be a mix, I'll bet. The California "myth" can be new or old -- for starters, check out some of the 60s spots in San Francisco -- the corner of Haight-Ashbury, or the Citylights Bookstore near Chinatown. Going down the coast, San Simeon was one man's California dream. Check out a more recent version in Carmel, then see what Mr. Hearst had in mind with a tour of his castle at San Simeon.

For me, the original California dream was tied up in the original Forty-Niners, in their hopes and dreams. You can't possibly know what California was (and is) all about without knowing a little about those times and what they meant for the participants -- so if you want to get off the coast for a time, check out the Gold Rush country.

For the REALLY old version, be sure to visit some of the missions and see what 18th and 19th Century life under Spanish dominion held -- for the Padres, the Dons and for those that provided the labor that created that "dream" world. Learn what a "California bank-note" was.

Check out George Lucas's film locations for American Grafitti (in Petaluma). That was a different kind of California dream. For a different kind of "drag," be sure to see Hollywood Boulevard -- that "dream" has changed over the years.

For some, the California dream is the "beach" lifestyle. You might do some of your people watching at Venice Beach, at Santa Monica, or along the beachfront sidewalk at Pacific Beach (San Diego).

Perhaps some of our Californian posters will have some different, better ideas... Bob

emmybear Guest

As for San Diego I would highly suggest spending some time at La Jolla Shores and La Jolla Cove, as a local the shores are my favorite beach in the county and while they can prove to be crowded it's obvious why. While at the shores you can take a quick walk to Jeff's Burgers which is an amazing place to eat on a summer day, ask any local and they can tell you how to get there. Other places worthy of your time are Old Town, Seaport Villiage, Coronado and of course the San Diego Zoo. If you make your way to Coronado I highly recommend visiting the historic Hotel Del Coronado and renting a surrey on your way out that you can use to ride around the "island" and take in the beautiful homes lining the pacific ocean. Places outside of San Diego that I recommend going to are San Clemente and Laguna Beach in the Orange County area. Hope this helps some.

Kate_D Guest

Default I'd recommend...

In San Diego, definitely go to Balboa park and check out the museums and such. I'd recommend stopping at a few of the old California Missions.
    Santa Barbara is a really popular and attractive area.
    Also I think it's worth remembering the huge migrant farmworker community in our state. Stop by a few agricultural towns along the central valley. You might try the Steinbeck museum in Salinas - it's interesting and can give you perspective into the California of the 1930's.
    If you're interested in golf, I like to take visitors to look at the Pebble Beach resort on the Monterey Peninsula although room prices for one day are more than I pay in rent for a month!
    -Kate

Hokaka Guest

I was wondering what kind of camping possibilities there are in the San Francisco and the whole bay area. We are there during a busy time of the year, I imagine! Around 4th of july, and I was thinking will we have a hard time finding tent sites in the surrounding areas? Or is there even tent camp sites near San Francisco preferably on the north side of the city!